Bond CEM vs CGP

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Taz1981

Bond CEM vs CGP

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

I’ve purchased all the Bond and CGP books and my DD is working through them well. My question is the level of difficulty between the maths is quite significant.

Example of Bond 11+ CEM question

Read the following information and then answer the questions:
You must answer both correctly to receive a mark.

In a quartet the first violin player was 5 years older than the cellist and 2 years younger than the viola player. He was 5 years younger than the second violinist who was 33.

How old was the cellist?
How old was the viola player?

Example of CGP CEM question

50 people were asked what colour their car was. 16 people said blue.
What percentage of people did not say blue?

Having been through all the cgp books the level is nowhere near the same. Just wondering what everyone else has experienced, did you stick with CGP or did you also mix in the bond questions later on as I think they are too advanced at this point.
ciaowood

Re: Bond CEM vs CGP

Post by ciaowood »

Hi. I don't know if the levels are any different but I have lots of both books too and I tend to mix them up. Personally, I find some of the CGP CEM comprehensions incredibly difficult (quite ambiguous some of them!).
Glos18

Post by Glos18 »

Interestingly, I don't think the two examples you gave were that different difficulty wise, although the bond question is badly worded so open to interpretation.

We mainly used CGP with my son two years ago who is an able mathematician. The thing about CEM is speed. The difficulty level isn't that bad so if your child finds the CGP straight forward, they probably know enough maths. You just need to make sure they can give an answer every 20 or 30 seconds, and recognise which questions to leave so they don't waste any time. I found the CGP mocks pretty challenging from that point of view.

That said it is really good to mix it up towards the end. Use a variety of companies as if a child is too used to one company's style, they may be thrown when the exam is a different style.
Polgara_Glos

Post by Polgara_Glos »

I know this is old but we are now doing both books regularly to make sure there are no surprises in the exam.

Bond Maths is definitely harder. Say both books have a question about how far you travel in 30 mins, Bond will say you are travelling at 65km per hour, what is the distance travelled in 30 mins. Answers are all within a minute so accuracy needed.

An equivalent CGP paper will say you are on a train at 120kmph. How far do you travel in 30 mins. Same process, simpler sums.

DC scores higher in Bond comprehension so swings and roundabouts!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now