Stumped

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nella

Re: Stumped

Post by Nella »

Taz1981 wrote:Thanks for this but this table will take a long time and the tests are only 10 min tests. How can a child work this out within 60-90 seconds? Is there a quicker formula or should they just skip questions like these for the 11+ exams.
You don’t say which books you are using. We found some of the questions in the Bond books are ridiculously tricky.

My child had a meltdown when trying a Bond maths book and refused to do any more of them. My advice to them was to skip the tricky questions and not to fret about answering and to guess. Their feedback from the (B’ham) 11+ test last year was that it was much easier than the practice questions.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Surferfish wrote: There might be a quicker way to determine the answer by eliminating other options. (e.g. the answer would have to be divisible by 3 and 4)
Yes - divisible by 9 in fact (and not by 5) , so in theory in a cleverly written question it should be possible to eliminate many options quickly. But these are questions that many of my GCSE-level pupils would struggle with....
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Any number is divisible by 3 if the sum of its digits is divisible by 3.
Any number is divisible by 4 if it is even and the last 2 digits are divisible by 4. (the last 2 digits be halved and halved again to leave a whole number).

Maybe within the multiple choice options there is only one case where both the above are true?

That would be an awful lot easier and quicker than having to work out 4 x (3^7) without a calculator.