Regression in scores

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Polgara_Glos

Regression in scores

Post by Polgara_Glos »

Hi all

My DC has been doing ok, not brilliantly but fine in Maths. Their scores have steadily increased with practice from 50% to an average of 66% in practice tests. I'd be more comfortable with higher, but their VR, Comp and NVR are great, so I wasn't too worried.

We do a 10 min test a few times a week. Suddenly their maths and maths words scores have dropped - hugely to 25% and below. Is this a blip? We have 3 months so hoping it is a blip.

When looking, I think they are not reading the question fully, particularly when changing between measures e.g grams and litres or the final format of the answer. Or making assumptions.

My plan is to take away the time aspect for now and ask them to actually write out what they need to do and working. What do you think? I should add they are not in school and the school work is a worksheet a day which they complete comfortably.

Anyone else have a DC whose child has regressed? Please say yes :lol:
yoyo123

Re: Regression in scores

Post by yoyo123 »

Children do regress!

Especially with schooling being so disrupted.

I think you are right to stop timing for a while. Look at the errors and ask where they went wrong.
Maybe do questions together.

We used to use Ros from Monsters inc with Yr 5.

as the "Examiner" who loves to set a trap for you to fall into. They ended up shouting "She got us" when they missed an obvious point by rushing.