Speed

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Taz1981

Speed

Post by Taz1981 »

Hi All,

My daughter completed this test and her timings are still nowhere near what’s expected.
link removed by moderatorThe first test took her 18 mins and the second she needed another 10 mins more than it allowed. She is fine doing the 10 min tests on the cgp Maths books, she completes them in around 8 mins. so I’m not sure what to do now. Any recommendations to speed things up and are these times realistic?
Mumma555

Re: Speed

Post by Mumma555 »

Hi Taz. I know it might sound strange, but one possibility is that your DD is toooo concerned with getting them all correct. A kind of confidence thing that leads to too much time on care and double checking (I know- before I get fiery mail lol- care and double checking are vital)- however not at the expense of not finishing: it's a balance. If this does happen to be the cause for your DD, then ask her to rush a few of these practice tests, and say that for this experiment, you are not worried about how many she gets right or not, you are only wanting to see her finish them all in the time allowed. You might both be surprised that she does just/almost as well, but much quicker.....
HotRod

Re: Speed

Post by HotRod »

Hi Taz
As with Mumma, my kids like to keep trying to get the answer, and it took time and persuasion to get them to move on to the next question if it was taking too long. Try a few different explanations and see which works - then keep reminding / repeating over and over. And over!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now