Maths homework

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bexley Mum 2

Maths homework

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

This is a question from my son's maths homework this week (Year 4):

There are 28 children in the class:

a) There is enough room for 3/4 to paint. How many can paint?

b) Half go to help another teacher. How many are left?

c) 1/8 is off sick. How many are in school?

We can do the first two but not the third. Does anybody have any idea what answer they are looking for? Presumably not 24.5 children in school?
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Who can guess what the teacher is looking for? I guess it is best for your child just to write down their working and thinking, and when the answer is a silly one like this, leave it like that.

You can tell it is a badly written question anyhow, as it ends with "how many are in school" which makes you immediately go "uh?" as the question is about numbers in class.

Also, part b is ambiguous as it it is not clear whether it is half of the class that go off to help the teacher, or half the number that can paint.

Best thing always is to show your working and thinking, and then you can't have marks taken away for a poor question!! Badly written multiple choice questions in an exam are another matter though.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Thanks Perplexed. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't me!

We're in Bexley where half the eleven plus test will now be maths (the other paper being VR) so I'm trying to make sure my son is up to speed with everything. Fortunately he's good at maths but I find it quite a struggle if I do need to explain something to him as the methods taught in school now are nothing like the way I was taught and I'm always worried I will confuse him. I remember getting my older son's teacher to explain chunking to me and she practically had me tearing my hair out! What's wrong with good old long-division?!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now