GL Maths MC Papers - which practice papers hardest?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exam2019

GL Maths MC Papers - which practice papers hardest?

Post by exam2019 »

In the final weeks we are suspecting that the books we have aren’t a good representation of the actual exam. Any suggestions for Mutiple Choice papers which are high level of difficulty?
Thanks
scary mum

Re: GL Maths MC Papers - which practice papers hardest?

Post by scary mum »

exam2019 wrote:In the final weeks we are suspecting that the books we have aren’t a good representation of the actual exam. Any suggestions for Mutiple Choice papers which are high level of difficulty?
Thanks
Which papers are you currently using?
scary mum
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

The maths resources on this website are the toughest ones we've come across. Practise papers and maths packs.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:The maths resources on this website are the toughest ones we've come across. Practise papers and maths packs.
Thanks I got a pack of FPTP Maths last week and was planning to try one of those next
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

scary mum wrote:
exam2019 wrote:In the final weeks we are suspecting that the books we have aren’t a good representation of the actual exam. Any suggestions for Mutiple Choice papers which are high level of difficulty?
Thanks
Which papers are you currently using?
I've got a few packs of MC format and the plan was to dip in and out of different publishers:
Bond
The Tutors
GL Pack 1
Letts
FPTP
I've also got some primary maths challenge papers and some old Latymer (Edmonton) past papers which are certainly more challenging but not MC format.

I was saving the GL published papers until the end, but having done one of their Familiarisation papers yesterday it seemed easier than some of the others, so maybe that's not wise....

Alternatively I've just read in an old post here that GL Pack 2 is harder (if that still applies to the current version?) so maybe I should get that?
bridge

Post by bridge »

If you say which area you are in, you might get a specific response. However, for my son we tried the FPTP maths - the one that has 3 levels of difficulty - we pretty quickly stopped doing the toughest and even the middle one threw up a number of mistakes.
IMO the exams are much easier than the toughest practice material - and that is what my daughter and son said. What you need is a really solid understanding of the basics, so when a question is asked in an unusual way you can recognise the sum that is required. Everyone makes mistakes so there will always be ways for the schools to rank pupils.

My son will be starting at a 'super selective' this September with another boy whose dad tried to convince me to do KS3 work. I refused point blank as there was plenty to do at KS2. So you can make your child do the tougher work but my guess is they will get through anyway. Just focus on eliminating silly errors. The trouble is finding enough material at KS2 level, but you can repeat tests.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks @bridge

We are trying for The Latymer School in Edmonton, North London. Nearly 3000 will sit for 196 places this year - which is up from about 2000 when DS sat two years ago. Pupil premium and music places mean that about 40 places have different pass marks so there are only 150-160 places for those on the straight academic competition.

The first paper is VR and Maths in GL MC style. The second paper is English comp and writing, but only the top 650 ranked in paper one will get their english marked. Which means that we have to aim for a high score in Maths & VR to be able to get a chance to put the school on the CAF. The papers are difficult to spread out the high ability kids.

A couple of years ago a score around 75-78% would probably have been high enough to make round 2 for a waiting list place, but this cohort is 50% bigger... Assuming that the paper will stay at the same level of difficulty I was assuming that DD would need to get upwards of 82-83% to make the cut.

We definitely don't want KS3 material, but we do need to be working on papers with more complex or multi-step KS2 material because that is what is in the old-style Latymer papers. It's just that I'd like to be able to practice with DD on MC format and have an appropriate level of difficulty...

Any suggestions?
KaB£H1s3

Post by KaB£H1s3 »

exam2019 wrote:
KaB£H1s3 wrote:The maths resources on this website are the toughest ones we've come across. Practise papers and maths packs.
Thanks I got a pack of FPTP Maths last week and was planning to try one of those next
exampapersplus dot co dot uk have tough mcq maths papers. We've been working on their CEM range. I've never seen the GL, but it should be just as difficult.

EDIT: it's not the best quality material I've ever seen. Some of the questions are open to interpretation and there's sometimes more than one valid answer.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

KaB£H1s3 wrote:
exam2019 wrote:
exampapersplus dot co dot uk have tough mcq maths papers. We've been working on their CEM range. I've never seen the GL, but it should be just as difficult.

EDIT: it's not the best quality material I've ever seen. Some of the questions are open to interpretation and there's sometimes more than one valid answer.
Thanks - I had a look. It’s not easy to tell from the description whether it’s the format I’m after and they seem to cost twice what other publishers charge. So if it comes to it I’ll probably stick with the standard format stuff I’ve already got...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know of a student on rank 270 who was offered a place on the waiting list this year which was accepted.

Many parents of students with higher ranks just cannot move into the catchment area by January end up not applying so the ranks go a lot further than DAO, HBS or QE. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now