Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BLANCA

money calculations

Post by BLANCA »

Please can anyone help with the following:-

67 x £5.32 = £356.44

daughter got £37.24

can you please explain how to work this out so that I can relay to my daughter. Sorry if this seems really simple, but I just don't get maths at all.

Many thanks in advance
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

not easy for youngsters but have to decide whether the answer is "reasonable" ie nearly 70 times £5 must equal somewhere near £350.

Otherwise to get the exact answer comes down to however you teach kids to long multiplication, I may be able to do the sum but couldn't teach anyone to do anything (other than medical students ho ho).

I'm sure a maths teacher will advise soon....
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I think the best way is start from whatever method your daughter uses at school for long multiplication (it probably depends on what year she is in, but is most likely "chunking" at this stage). If she can't explain her method to you, look in her maths exercise book to see what they do.

There are also some very useful websites which tell you the sort of methods they use in primary school maths today. If you look in the maths section of Advisory Service Kent (ASK) on the KCC website you will find some leaflets they have produced which explain methods commonly used in school today.

Also, there are lots of books on sale in a big WH Smiths which cover KS2 maths and the kind of methods they use in school today.

Good luck
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Chunking is used for division - many schools use the grid method for long multiplication - this site might help:

http://www.mad4maths.com/
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

sorry did not mean to use the word "chunking" ..... I meant that method some primary school children use where they break it down into lots of easier multiplications that they can do and add them all up.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's the grid method - I'm a fan as it links nicely to expanding algebra then later to factorising polynomials and completing the square.
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

Thank you all soooooo much!

The links are great.
feimala

Post by feimala »

It looks like your daughter worked out the 7 x £5.32 bit but forgot to calculate and add on 60 x £5.32.

To do this she would calculate 6 x £5.32 then put a zero on the end (because she's multiplying by a figure in the 'tens' column). She then needs to add the two figures together to come up with the final answer.
BLANCA

Post by BLANCA »

thanx feimala
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now