Kumon maths

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Hi there

I wondered if parents whose children do Kumon maths could give me some feedback on progession through the various levels.

Our DS (age 7, goes into yr 3 in Sept) has been doing Kumon since last December and has completed levels 3A, 2A, and almost A. He will then go onto level B, adding & subtracting in columns. He does about 8 papers per day.

Would you say that that was about average going? It would be interesting to know how long each level normally takes.., and how many levels you can comfortably do over a 1 year period.

Many thanks in advance.
Villagedad
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

PLEASE don't encourage addition and subtraction in columns at this age .. it stifles understanding of place value.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi Village Dad,

Sounds like your DS is making really good progress. My DD is 8 (starts Yr 4 in Sept) and is on Level C (divides at the moment). She does 5 sheets a day.

Hi Guest 55 -
PLEASE don't encourage addition and subtraction in columns at this age .. it stifles understanding of place value.
Yes, I've never thought of it like that before, but I can see what you mean. But it's not just Kumon that teach this, DD did it in Y3 at school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

But there are effective ways of teaching it - Kumon encourages 'carrying' far too early.

46 + 37

40 + 6
30 + 7
----------
70 adding tens
10 + 3 adding units
---------
80 + 3 = 83

Numbers are partitioned to keep place value
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Muggle wrote:Sounds like your DS is making really good progress. My DD is 8 (starts Yr 4 in Sept) and is on Level C (divides at the moment). She does 5 sheets a day.
Hi Muggle

Thanks for the feedback. Would be interested to know at what stage / age your DD started her kumon and how long each level took.

Take care
Villagedad
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

Hi Village Dad,
Daughter is 8. Will be going to Year 4 in September.
Is on Level D (Middle papers).

She does 3 sheets on 2 days and 4 on 1 day. So 10 sheets in 3 days.

Need to fill in gaps not covered by Kumon with other books though i.e problem solving etc.
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

Hi Villagedad,

She started 24 months ago on level 4A (she's now nearing the end of C). Our Kumon instructor seems very slow in moving her up to the next level. She always gets 100%, but sometimes not fast enough! On a daily basis she doesn't have the motivation to do the work as fast as possible, although if bribed she can do the work in an amazingly quick speed!!

Kumon has made DD much more confident about maths and that is what we wanted to achieve when she started it :) :D . I feel she has outgrown it now and we will probably give it up shortly, as she is strong on her basic maths now and I would prefer her to concentrate on applying her knowledge to problem solving type questions, which Kumon doesn't do. Also her Kumon often work lags behind the level she works at at school, so is revision for her, which seems to defeat the object of doing it.

How is Kumon working for your DS?
Chai

Post by Chai »

Ok, have not posted for a while as I wanted to see how Kumon would help us. We have not used a tutor - only materials from this website and information from others on top of Kumon.

Speed wise, my daughter has no problems. I think Kumon has given her the speed and accuracy she needs for all other work. So, with Verbal Reasoning, she is especially good with VR types which require arithmetic work and breaking codes. Types 1, 2, 3, 4, 19, 21, and various others.

Vocabulary and spelling - because at every level, Kumon English has a vocabulary review section, VR has also improved.

Maths problem solving - Kumon worksheets do introduce problem solving concepts from Level B onwards, although the problems are pretty simple. But really, if you think about it, Area problems require mastery of multiplication and division, Geometry - understanding of the Geometric rules and then it is either column addition or subtraction to work out the angles. So mastery of the four basic operations plus Algebra has helped her understand and deal with more complex problem sums.

As for English - on Levels G & H in English, she is asked questions like why do you think, what do you think, and support your answers using evidence from the passage. The passages range from Snow Geese, Lord of the Flies, to Hamlet - more classical English which is relevant for Essex. The answers are also more generous. As long as she is putting across a point, giving and explanation and supporting it with evidence from the text, the answer she gives is fine. She is not constrained anymore, like she was in the previous levels.

The down side to Kumon is their stickler for accuracy and making it within a certain time. So if you don't make the time, you repeat until you do, which can be sickening....although the instructor that we use does push my daughter on if she can do the work at a reasonably fast speed (even if she is 5 minutes out of the requisite time for one or 2 sets). ...and the marking .

My daughter now does 10 sheets per subject (it's the holidays and she wants to move on), which takes her up to 1.5 hours. She enjoys the routine and doesn't mind. She also hasn't had to religiously practised every day on her elevenplus papers. She is learning something new with the Kumon worksheets that she does dailiy.

On the whole, we are happy with Kumon. Of course the debate won't end here. This works for us and we are sticking with it, to beyond the Elevenplus. There may be other more effective methods, so as with all things, try and find one method that suits you.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

This works for us and we are sticking with it,
I think that comment says it all.
Chai

Post by Chai »

Yes yoyo123, it does. Whether it is tuition or Kumon or any other method, give it time, see if it works, then go with it. It doesn't help to flit around using various methods every 3 to 4 months. I believe there are good tutors out there. If you find one, stick with him/her. My daughter decided that Kumon would work better for her, and because it works for her, it's fine by me and we are happy - no arguments over what and when to do homework or study :) .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now