Panic!!!!!!!

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Panic!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

Hi, just wondered if anyone had any ideas how I could stop my daughter being 'scared' of Maths. She's very English based and gets great scores for NVR and VR but will panic when we do Maths papers. We have until January and are working through the Bond fifth papers in Maths (at which she gets about 90%) but when I try a practice paper I can see the panic and she sometimes goes to pieces. Any tips would be fantastic.
unsure

is she really scared of maths?

Post by unsure »

This does not sound like maths "phobia" or else she would also be scared of doing the Bond fifth papers.

So find out why she goes to pieces on one and not the other. I think you also need to make the point that the three NFER practice papers are only practice papers in so far as they cover all possible question types. The real exam could therefore feel easier as it may have a better balance of easy / hard questions, or may not cover topics that she cannot do. There is no need to get every question right to pass. Perhaps you are making the practice papers sound scary by whatever you say about them. If she is doing the 11+ in January it is early to be doing the practie papers. But useful for you to look through them to make sure you will have covered all the relevant material in time, or decided which topics to chance it and skip (e.g. more difficult algebra)

If it is the NFER practice papers they are indeed harder looking than the bond fifth papers, but there will be plenty of questions she can still do. Also it is useful to identify the types of question covered in the practice papers that are not covered in Bond fifth papers and make sure she has the skills to do them. Or perhaps if there are just one or two topics that she will not ever be able to do in time, (e.g.probability and algebra) tell her that you do not have to be able to get everything right to pass, but it is useful to know the types of question she cannot do so she identifies them on the day and passes on quickly to those she can do. And if it is multiple choice, guesses an answer rather than leaving it blank.

Sorry you have not had any other replies, and this one might not be that useful, but your question is not that well defined - bit puzzling without further explanation which is probably why you have had so many views and no replies other than this one.

Tell her that my stepson got 90% or thereabouts on Bond fifth, only did two of the NFER practice papers and got a much lower mark, and on the day he score 140 in his maths paper (highest score possible in the Kent 11+ despite having been adjusted down for a September birthday).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now