Private School in Lancashire applying for free school status

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Patzie

Private School in Lancashire applying for free school status

Post by Patzie »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-la ... e-20209494" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does this mean there will be another Grammar School in Lancashire?

:shock:
hermanmunster

Re: Private School in Lancashire applying for free school st

Post by hermanmunster »

not sure that free schools can be selective ... can they ??
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Simon Corns, head master, said: "I think this is a very exciting opportunity for families in the town and beyond.

"We have planned for a mixed ability entry, with the ability entry range ensured through fair banding.
So the new school won't be selective.

The loophole :D in current red tape allows an existing selective school to open a satellite school, early days but we may see some extension of choice by stealth as no major political party has the backbone to endorse schools for the more able. :lol:

This thread now carries an Amber Alert. :D
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Over at my mum's yesterday and saw Chetwynde in Barrow is also looking to become a free school. I assume they're struggling to attract enough fee payers and see this as a way of retaining their independence.
Patzie

Post by Patzie »

The Fair Banding Assessments for 2015 applicants

http://qegsblackburn.com/admissions/how-to-apply" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MMMMM - is this an assessment then or not? :?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think this sort of assessment is used in quite a few other places in the country - the bands ensure that there is a range of abilities across the intake with a defined percentage in each of five bands.
The oversub policy (once sibs / looked after etc children have been allocated) is random allocation - so no moving nearer etc etc
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

How come free schools can (eventually) select based on religion, but not on ability? Not that I think any school paid for with state funding should select on any criteria other than age. (Our school experimented with mature students when I was in the fifth year studying o levels, it really didn't work!)
Personally I think it a completely rotten idea as they seem to be springing up where there is absolutely no need for further schools, but not necessarily in areas that are struggling to accommodate their school age population in local schools.
"Free" in Bucks seems to be code for, "Do whatever you like and we will over power all local legislation and opinion on your behalf."

Surely if these fee paying schools struggle to attract pupils that means they are not needed, full stop?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

How come free schools can (eventually) select based on religion, but not on ability?
because
no major political party has the backbone to endorse schools for the more able.
Labour & Libdems are ideologically opposed, where-as Tories are probably waiting to loose ground to other fringe parties before supporting new selective schools. I will prefer more grammars to be allowed, starting from poorer areas and in areas where comps are not performing well. Gradually, the number of grammars should be brought up to 1300 (as before) to 2000 (to cater for increase in population since 1970s).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now