QEGS Penrith

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Janeybee

Re: QEGS Penrith

Post by Janeybee »

Thanks for the informative reply Harlequin. Will see whether our DS can motivate himself enough to do enough practice questions over the summer in order to pass the test. Looking at QEGS was entirely his choice but we all loved it. I think if he passes and gets in we will give if serious consideration and if he still wants to go he will probably do fine. But I could see him going the other way with a large comp, of mixed ability classes, perhaps less encouragement and the 'low level disruption' etc.

Good luck to all sitting the test in September.
Katie1

Post by Katie1 »

Interesting reading all replies..... Very heplful information from Harlequin.....Dd practising and is enjoying it.....still not getting a high score with the NV but it's getting better with practise...I wish all your children success if sitting the exam....
Asingh

Post by Asingh »

Hi all
Great to find all this information and reassurance on the forum...We visited the school on open day and my daughter loved the school. This has helped her motivation to work during summer but we are having a real struggle with NVR....
any tips would be great and best wishes to all ...
harleyquinn

Post by harleyquinn »

With NVR I think it's just a matter of practice. Some types of questions do seem to come more naturally than others. We tended to concentrate on the types dd found more difficult.
Out of interest we both just did an online test, (can't tell you how delighted she was with that, haha). She scored 80% (20 questions) and still struggled with the 'relationship type' now.
One more piece of advice we were given was to ignore the tears and tantrums of other PARENTS and kids on test day. Also ask afterwards if there was any disruption during the test in case you need to appeal. I'm talking tears or sickness etc.
Plan something nice for after the test, try hard not to interrogate them on what type of questions there were and how they think they've done. Then try to forget about it until March, (easier said than done!).
Good luck to you all.
Janeybee

Post by Janeybee »

We've hit a wall with motivation/interest. DS's scores seem to be dipping quite considerably as he's stressing with timer and the tension between missing some he finds more difficult/spending extra time on others/making silly mistakes etc. Had he/we not have started practising so late on (mid July) we would insist he had a good couple of weeks off but now unsure what to do for the best? Any tips/advice welcome? Trying to persuade him against doing the test at the moment as this is really stressing him out so much. But he's still insistent he wants to do the test (and considering GS was totally his idea not ours).
Asingh

Post by Asingh »

Best wishes to all writing the test in less than 2 weeks time......shall post how we got on.
Katie1

Post by Katie1 »

Best of luck to all x
Asingh

Post by Asingh »

Hope it all went well for Qegs exam today...Dd came out teary since she did not manage to complete the VR paper....... :(
Any one else has any feedback from the test...best wishes for the results next week..
Tracey smith

Post by Tracey smith »

My ds didn't finish either bless him and said the test was a lot harder than the practise papers! Does she have a rough idea how well she did on the questions she did complete? And if she did well in the other papers it will bring her over all mark up! I hate waiting tho do you think there is much chance we get results before 9th ***
Juja

Post by Juja »

My daughter didn't finidh the VR or Maths papers but the key is their accuracy on the questions they did do so I wouldn't worry too much. A raw score of 60% is usually fine. She was surprised by the NVR only having two sections of 10 mins rather than 6 sections of 6 mins. Suited her better.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now