QEGS Penrith

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Juja

Re: QEGS Penrith

Post by Juja »

Apologies in advance for nerdiness and length of the post.

My understanding is that the scores are standardised with the mean score for each school's 11 plus test is set at 100. Therefore adding the three together gives a mean score of 300. If the QEGS results are standardised to a normal distribution with a standard deviation of 15 then 34% of all pupil's test results fall between 85 and 100 and 34% between 100 and 115, so putting three tests together 68% of the results are clumped between 255-345. If say 240 took the test and they take 120 pupils (50%) then it would suggest those above mean (300) get in, but often it is fewer who take the test and quite a few choose to go elsewhere.

look at this page for more on standardisation:

http://www.nfer.ac.uk/research/centre-f ... -ranks.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GL (who set the tests) say in http://www.gl-assessment.co.uk/sites/gl ... lus-QA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that the tests are locally standardised. So average in a QEGS test doesn't mean average in the normal population as it will tend to be the brighter children who self select for the 11plus. This means you can't compare your 11plus standardised score with the CAT tests they do in Year 7 which are against a national population.

Getting back to reality as someone else said historically the highest minimum score has been 285 in the past so anyone over that will in all probability be fine if a similar number of people have taken the test and a similar number of people with qualifying scores choose to not apply and go elsewhere. I heard today from someone who works there that a lot did take the test this year.

If its any comfort my child had already decided to go to another school and scored 362 so that is one place freed up!

Good luck to everyone else and remember there are lots of good schools in Cumbria - QEGS is a good school but its results also reflect it selective intake so its results aren't comparable with other school.
Asingh

Post by Asingh »

Hi Juja
your posts are always so informative...really grateful for your input as well as others..don't know many other mums since new to the area...
that is a brilliant score, well done to your dd.....we r just about hopeful so are considering other options but not sure if still should still put QEGS as our first preference.
Tracey smith

Post by Tracey smith »

Hi juju did the person you now have a rough idea how many took the test or did they just say a lot? What school has your dc decided to go to? Good luck to all the kids putting QEGS as their first choice I'm sure they will be fine it's just us mums stressing like we do best xx
Katie1

Post by Katie1 »

Yes stressing for the next 4 1/2 mths ! ..Good luck everyone x
Inmyownworld

Post by Inmyownworld »

My dd did the test and got 248, not quite enough to get in but I'm still a proud mummy. 2 of her friends also got similar scores and won't be putting it as first choice. I know someone that got well into the 300+ I also think they should tell you how many took the test.
Tracey smith

Post by Tracey smith »

Has anyone managed to find out any more scores this morning at school? I havnt but hoping my ds finds out today xx
Katie1

Post by Katie1 »

I might be able to find out some by to tonight if anyone wants to say...Some maybe keep it to themselves....
Juja

Post by Juja »

Sorry no idea how many lots is but I expect it is about the same as the highest figures in earlier years so around 240 which would match with the 60 in hall and 60 in gym both in am and pm. Certainly morning was about 120 and someone else said they were an afternoon candidate so they might be able to estimate.

Just spoken to dc about results from her friends but information is very vague! It seems they were all quite awkward about asking each other.

If your child wants to go to QEGS and got over 280 I would definitely put it first otherwise you will be allocated your first choice even if you have a qualifying score for QEGS. Speak to admissions at County Council but I think if you don't qualify for QEGS it will not disadvantage you for your second choice. Very few schools in Cumbria were oversubscribed last year except QEGS and Trinity.
Katie1

Post by Katie1 »

A friend heard about 270 sat test but don't quote me on that... Only results ive heard are between a few friends .. One low 200s the rest 290-320 and one in the 360s
harleyquinn

Post by harleyquinn »

Juja is quite right regarding putting QEGS first on your CAF form. The schools do not know what order you have placed them, all they know is that a valid application has been made. If you don't get allocated a place at QEGS based on your score, the next school on your list becomes your first choice and so on.

Good luck to you all for allocation day. Also, just out of interest, I did my CAF online and logged in just after midnight on allocation day and the results were online. That's just shaved about 12 hours off your wait!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now