Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:06 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: CRGS - from 2nd home?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:53 pm 

Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:45 pm
Posts: 1
Hi. Long time off for us though planning for our eldest (only 5 now!). We currently live in Sale though have a 2nd home in the Ribble Valley. Sale Grammar school is significantly harder to enter statistically (9:1) then CRGS (3:1?) and CRGS also better at least in terms of GCSE results so we're torn between the two areas. As such, when the time comes will it be possible for our child to sit the test in 2 authorities and if we are successful in the Ribble Valley relocate (which we're happy to do)? Any advice appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:43 pm 

Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am
Posts: 6856
Location: Essex
You would need to keep a close eye on the residence requirements for each school - which, of course, could have changed significantly by the time comes for you actually to be applying to take the tests / applying for a place at the school. Some schools use the main address at the time of taking the test, applying to take it, or an even earlier date when considering applications. Others allow those who move into the area by the CAF closing date, or even a few myths later to be counted as 'in area' .

Do consider, though, that if you have to relocate part way into year 6 to fulfil residence requirements, you need to have a school place for your child to go to, or make arrangements to home-school.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:30 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:51 am
Posts: 8598
Toadmum is quite right re the potential problems with residency. However you can take both exams.

The 3:1 / 9:1 is a bit of red herring as you may find that kids taking Sale exam can also take lots of others which means that the numbers taking the exam are higher - overall each child can only go to one school and a bunch will be eligible for several.

At Clitheroe very few will take any other exams - mainly because of the logistics of getting there - also not all the kids take the 11 plus, there are some very popular, good comprehensives which people opt to go for.

CRGS takes very few from outside the catchment area and if you passed the test then you would potentially have a very short time to genuinely relocate before the CAF forms have to be in etc.

It is all a long time away and things can change, both for you and the schools. You never know, you might have permanently relocated to the Ribble Valley by then

ETA: just checked, you have to live in catchment by the time the application form for the exam is completed, (was mid sept this year) - at that time you have to provide evidence that it is first home so correct council tax is paid etc. They also comment that parents whose first home is outside catchment will be considered to be living outside catchment .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:44 am 

Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:42 pm
Posts: 3826
Location: Chelmsford and pleased
Assuming you are talking about Clitheroe rather than Colchester. I posted erroneously initially.

Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2018