Pass rates CRGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Primrosejo

Pass rates CRGS

Post by Primrosejo »

I am enquiring about the pass rates. I know the standard changes every year so it's impossible to say exactly. However we could do with a guideline for our practise papers.
My daughter is thinking of trying for Clitheroe where they do maths, Eng and VR.
Thanks in anticipation.
herewego!

Re: Pass rates CRGS

Post by herewego! »

It's big difference depending on whether you are in or out of area. We are in the catchment area and aiming for 80% on practise papers, but out of area I would say 90%.
That is what I've been told by other people - we'll find out tomorrow if that was enough!
Primrosejo

Post by Primrosejo »

Why is there a difference? I thought the standard was the same but in area got preference?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Primrosejo wrote:Why is there a difference? I thought the standard was the same but in area got preference?

The places are given to:

1) Looked after children who reach the required standard
2) In area children in order of score
3) out of area according to score

for 2&3 equal scores are separated by distance

So: the vast majority of places will go to in area children who pass the test, the remaining places (of which there do not tend to be many) will go to OOC children in rank order of score - so to get a place you probably have to score pretty highly. http://www.crgs.org.uk/Files/Admissions ... 202015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
herewego!

Post by herewego! »

http://www.crgs.org.uk/Files/Prospectus%202016-17.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 16 gives a breakdown of inside/outside of catchment and numbers getting places last year.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Admissions limit (September 2015): 120 students
Total number of applications received for admission in September 2015: 426 students
Total number of students taking the test for admission in September 2015
from students resident in the school’s catchment area: 221 students
Total number of students taking the test for admission in September 2015
from students not resident in the school’s catchment area: 205 students
120 students were offered places
76 from the school’s catchment area
44 resident outside the school’s catchment area
Number of appeals against non-admission was 4 – these were not successful

Note there are 150 places next year - when the number of places in Skipton increased like this, it led to more places for those outside the catchment as they were already able to offer to all in catchment who had passed the exam.
Primrosejo

Post by Primrosejo »

Yes it will open up more places for out of the area. However CRGS have 'sold the idea' on the basis that it's because there are more children moving into the Ribble Valley with all the new houses. So unless they lower the standard, there will actually be more competition for those places??
SusieSheep

Post by SusieSheep »

I have heard different stories and you are never sure what to believe at the school gates.
They could add VR, Eng and Maths and go for the average - but you don't know the cut off point.
I once heard that they take Maths and VR and only use the English score if the child is border line.
I believe the English may have changed this year, more questions in less time.
So if there are more English questions this year then that will change the overall score.

Most counties are open with the admin but Lancs - big secret which no one knows. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now