Confused Mum!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Psydoc1

Confused Mum!

Post by Psydoc1 »

Hi..

I wonder whether I could get some advice from others regarding their opinion about best places to live in East Lancashire please?

I have 2 children - 9 years and 5 years old. I have got a job in Blackburn and it involves travelling to Darwen and Rawtenstall regularly. My OH does not want to live in Blackburn.. however our overwhelming consideration is our children's education. We have researched and acknowledged that perhaps Clitheroe and Rawtenstall and Bacup grammar school are going to be most desirable secondary schools. With this in mind we looked at the catchment areas for both these schools but we are still undecided about where to pursue a move. Rossendale has a benefit of easier commute to Manchester but on a whole it appears to be a relatively run down area, I may be totally incorrect in that persumption though.

Brockhall village looks good but we are not sure whether it is in catchment area for clitheroe grammar or not and in general how easy it would be to commute to school from there or neighbouring places like langho, whalley or mellor and back in blackburn, darwen or rossendale for work?

Clitheroe itself looks good but I have been warned that there is plenty of overt racism there and we are a mixed race family?

We hope that with his current ability our 9 years old would be able to pass the enrance tests for these schools but need to live in an area where the second choice is good enough too, and have good primary schools in its catchment.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Bw

hermanmunster

Re: Confused Mum!

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Psydoc and welcome to the forum

Brockhall looks as though it would be in catchment for CRGS according to the map on page 6 but probably worth checking with the school http://www.crgs.org.uk/wp-content/uploa ... h-2015.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
herewego!

Post by herewego! »

Brockhall is definitely in catchment area for Clitheroe Grammar, the school bus even stops there.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

herewego! wrote:Brockhall is definitely in catchment area for Clitheroe Grammar, the school bus even stops there.

Good point ! I think there are generally good local school bus services.

Only thing I would say is that some people in the area prefer some of the comprehensive schools to CRGS and don't take the 11 plus, even though I suspect they would get through fairly easily. Depends really on what the local comprehensive is like. Worth also remembering that CRGS goes up to year 11 on one site and then moves down the road to the 6th form where the year size more or less doubles. There are lots of options for 6th form in the area and there is quite a bit of moving around.

Clitheroe is generally a nice place and they are very friendly (even if i do live in Yorkshire :oops: )
Psydoc1

Post by Psydoc1 »

Dear Hermanmunster and herewego,

Many thanks for your advice and reassurances. This is very useful. Good to hear a more positive opinion of clitheroe people. This really has given us more food for thought!

I don't know whether anybody would have an opinion on rawtenstall vs clitheroe/brockhall as a place to buy a house? I could see from hermanmunster post that there may be good options of other comprehensive schools in Brockhall which certainly is a plus point. The only thing that attract us to Rawtenstall is a relatively easier commute to Manchester.

Thanks again for prompt responses- this is a great website with abundance of good advise and information!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now