LRGS preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dixechick1975

Re: LRGS preparation

Post by Dixechick1975 »

I'm not an expert but my understanding is your son's friend has nothing to lose by putting LRGS as number 1 then his next preferred schools as 2 and 3. He will be allocated the highest preference he qualifies for under the 'equal preference' system. There is an information for parents pdf on the Lancashire County Council website.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

tsl wrote:Thank you Dixechick1975 and others. I really hope that everyone here will get the good news. I have learnt a lot from this forum. Some of you can be consultant in 11 plus!
One of my son's classmates was told the score, total about 330. I think he would have a place if he was in the catchment area. But he lives OOC so now he is on the waiting list. LRGS did not tell the parents his ranking. How can they know if they should still put LRGS as his first choice? I don't think they will take the risk, especially there are two good schools near them. If he does not choose one of them as his first choice, he may miss the chance as well.
Also I remember I read the information about the waiting list on LGRS website. (11+ arrangement 2017 something like that....) The school will keep the waiting list till the end of 2017. So will some students already go to another school and then suddenly got a letter of telling them there is a place for them?
Dixiechick is right - the lad's parents have nothing to lose by putting LRGS first on the CAF, if they can't offer him a place on March 1st then this will not affect his chances of getting a place at his second place school.
the unsuccessful first place school is simply removed and the second place school effectively becomes the first place school
Absolutely guaranteed way to not get the school offered at all is not to put it on the CAF
tsl

Post by tsl »

That is fantastic! Thank you again Dixiechick and Hermanmunster.
Mumski

Post by Mumski »

tel

I fully agree with hermanmuster and dixiechick. There is nothing to lose and if there is a place for your friends son then the only way to get it is to put LRGS first.

It is also worth a phone call to the admissions clerk (Mrs Simmill) as she may be able to tell him his ranking and/or the lowest score achieved by the last child to be admitted last year. This could give some idea of the likelihood of him being offered a place in March.

I think you are correct in that the waiting lists are maintained until the end of the first term after everyone starts. Some parents don't bother rejecting a place they don't want and the children simply just don't turn up in September. You may have to request that your name stays on the list so that you are informed if a place becomes available. However it could be a difficult choice if a child has already settled in a new school.
tsl

Post by tsl »

Good advice. I will let them know. Many thanks Mumski.
Mrs Mak

Post by Mrs Mak »

Hello everyone,one point I would add to discussion is your friend should contact north council after 1st March to keep her child on their waitimg list for lrgs.I think if she is OCC she can appeal too ,but after March,on the base that her son passed and he deserve to be there coz if he would ve been from catchment area ,he would have offered place etc. I have heard about appeals too.
tsl

Post by tsl »

Thanks for your advice Mrs Mak. See if they can know his ranking of the waiting list first. If he is too far behind, probably they will not try that hard. My friend told me that her friend's son was 7th on the waiting list last year but could not have a place at the end. Of course it varies every year. I will let the parents know your advice anyway.
Dixechick1975

Post by Dixechick1975 »

Letter arrived this morning. She passed! We are catchment for CRGS. Have been online and filled out the CAF.

Letter states

I am delighted to inform you [name] reached the required standard in the tests and, in accordance with Lancashire County Council's Co-ordinated Admissions Scheme, we have informed the Local Education Authority (LEA) that we would be pleased to accept [name] as a student at Clitheroe Royal Grammar School from September 2017. We understand that the LEA will allocate [name] a place here if your common Application states that you have put Clitheroe Royal Grammar School as your first preference. Further details will be sent to you at the beginning of March 2017.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Great news Dixiechick! :D
Primrosejo

Post by Primrosejo »

We passed too! CRGS! Our letter says the same as above. We are in area so def have a place! Yipeeeee! Do you know if they release details of how they performed?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now