Difference between Westholme 11+ and Grammar School 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ELR100

Difference between Westholme 11+ and Grammar School 11+

Post by ELR100 »

Hi, I'm just after a little advice. Why do children that wish to attend Westholme in Blackburn need to pass the 11+ as it is not classed as a Grammar School and therefore is not listed on this website.

I'm asking because a parent of a child in my year 6 class wishes her daughter to go there but is worried that she has not got her tuition to pass the 11+ tests that they are expected to take in January 2018. Because the school has fees, I am not sure if the pass criteria is the same as at Clitheroe, Lancaster etc but told her I would look into it.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Last edited by ELR100 on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Re: Difference between Westholme 11+ and Grammar School 11+

Post by hermanmunster »

Westholme is a private school that has an entrance exam - some people may refer to it as an 11+ but it isn't the same as the Clitheroe / B&R / Lancaster exams.

I know that some people fail don't get Clitheroe etc but get places at Westholme - may well be the other way round too.
ELR100

Post by ELR100 »

Thanks for your reply. I realise it isn't 11+ but have been advised that the school uses similar papers to the 11+. Does anyone know if the pass criteria is as strict as it is at Clitheroe and Lancaster. Thanks.
Dixechick1975

Post by Dixechick1975 »

Westholme has it's own entrance exam in January of year 6 but it is no where near as rigorous as the local 11+ tests. They were very happy to discuss format at the open day we went to. From memory it was essay based not multiple choice.

A boy in my dc's primary class is starting this time and he was middle table ability, didn't sit 11+.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now