Eleven Plus (11+) in Lancashire & Cumbria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bunnyjo

Re: QEGS penrith

Post by Bunnyjo »

ToadMum wrote:
hermanmunster wrote::shock: Dumfries! that is a long way
Over 50 miles, but 'only' about 1hr 20min door to door if you live near the station. Sad, I know, but it sounded like one of those journeys, so I had a look :lol: .

Never having been to Dumfries, I have no idea where the station is, vis à vis habitation, mind. (There was a girl in my form at school from somewhere in Dumfries and Galloway, a much, much, longer journey than that from Dumfries to Penrith, but then, she only had to do the round trip twice a term).
The child is question is in my DD's form, but they also have a sibling further up the school. I believe, from what my DD said, they go from Dumfries to Lockerbie in the car, then Lockerbie to Penrith in the train (changing at Carlisle).

It's definitely a journey not for the faint-hearted!
siji.tess

Post by siji.tess »

Thanks Bunnyjo for your response. That was really helpful.
Sorry I thought I have already replied but just now noticed that I haven't.

DS got place in QEGS and will be moving to Carlisle for the school. Does any of your child in this forum use the coach to get to the school?
If yes, what are the bus stop you use?
DS is new and wants a buddy to join until he is confident with area.

Thanks
Bunnyjo

Post by Bunnyjo »

siji.tess wrote:Thanks Bunnyjo for your response. That was really helpful.
Sorry I thought I have already replied but just now noticed that I haven't.

DS got place in QEGS and will be moving to Carlisle for the school. Does any of your child in this forum use the coach to get to the school?
If yes, what are the bus stop you use?
DS is new and wants a buddy to join until he is confident with area.

Thanks
Hi siji.tess,

Most children from Carlisle travel to QEGS on the train, as that is the least expensive option. The coach DD uses (Brampton) doesn't actually stop in Carlisle and I don't think the Dalston coach does either.

If you're planning to move to Carlisle, it may be that the train is a better option for your DS. If you do move to one of the outlying villages (Brampton, Hayton, Warwick Bridge and Cumwhinton to the east/south and Dalston to the west), then the coach would probably be more convenient. Both routes are operated by Metcalfe Coaches, so I would contact them in the first instance.

DD gets on/off the coach near Brampton. There will be Year 7s using the coach service at each of the stops and, for reasons unknown, the children sit on the bus in year order - Year 7 at the front and Year 11/6th Form at the rear!

Did your DS do the discovery day? Which form is he in? Hopefully, he will have met new friends and be feeling more reassured.

Bunnyjo.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now