Visit By Schools to see children at Primary Year 6

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minniemooface

Visit By Schools to see children at Primary Year 6

Post by Minniemooface »

Just looking for a bit of info. Does anyone know if and/ or when Grammar schools visit primary schools to see the year 6 children, who have got places. In particular Grammar schools in the Lincs area.

I know some of the other secondary schools( generally comprehensives) have been already in May , and have issued the pupils with information packs, maps, timetables etc.

I just wondered if this is something that the Grammar schools do as well or not?

Thanks
PettswoodFiona

Re: Visit By Schools to see children at Primary Year 6

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I am in a different area but as your query has so far gone unanswered I thought I would chip in with my experience for DD last year. Her old independent school got a visit but as she was no longer there and being home educated she wasn't about when the visit took place but she knew about it via friends who were still at the school. In her secondary school class many are the only one from their school so there would be a large number of schools. Which schools they did or did not visit I don't know. Feedback from DD's friends was that the visit wasn't anything hugely helpful anyway but the induction day was helpful.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No idea what the other grammar schools locally do, let alone those in Lincolnshire, I'm afraid, but at DS2's grammar school, local schools are visited by a member of staff, but pupils from OOC schools are invited into school for an extra session separate from the whole year induction day in July.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs school sometimes visit primary schools. They visited her and the three others going when she was year 6, but I suspect that was down to numbers and the fact they were relatively near the school. I know other schools weren't.

I suspect it is difficult for grammar schools that have got DC from many different primaries spread over a wide area. It would likely be an even bigger area for somewhere like Lincolnshire.
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

CGS and KEVIGS do. Dates will vary for different primary schools, obviously, but KEVIGS have already been to our primary school, CGS hasn't. I don't think de Aston (comp) has - not sure they do anyway as so many kids go there they see them on the induction days. The secondary visits don't usually give out maps etc, they get these on induction evenings/days. Some schools have already had induction days (Will Farr, also a comp), some have just one evening in May and a day in July (CGS), and some have several days in July (KEVIGS). Why don't you just call the school you're interested in and ask?
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

The schools I was most interested in were Caistor and Kevigs, would you mind telling me when they came to your school and if possible the number of children attending/ going to the school. I was lead to believe they would come the last week in May by letters ,but when I ask my primary school , they have said they have heard nothing.
Last edited by Minniemooface on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Does this help? From the term dates on the KEVIGS website:

http://www.kevigs.org/calendar/4570741434

Induction for incoming year 7 Wednesday 28 - Friday 30th June.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Minniemooface wrote:The school I was most interested in was Kevigs, would you mind telling me when they came to your school and if possible the number of children attending/ going to the school. I was lead to believe they would come the last week in May by letter, but when I ask my primary school , they keep saying they have heard nothing, and even said they didn't know when the induction days were. Yet funnily enough they have send out details for next term and all other schools, visits and induction days are listed! I think my child's school may have an issue with grammar schools, or maybe it's just my child and the school she is going to. They even told me they had not received her 11 plus score when I asked about it, yet Kevigs kindly informed me they had told the school, but would obviously not divulge the score.
I don't think there is any big conspiracy! Even in Warwickshire, when the results come out to parents, on that day the school have not been informed (unless you tell them as a parent). The school gets notification of "allocated" school - and I think this is a couple of days before the parent does, but not the score (unless you tell them). You have to remember that state primaries are also under strict instructions not to promote GS/practise for 11+ etc as it is only open to the minority of children. This debate has raged long and hard on this forum so I don't want to re-hash that argument, as it is not the point of this thread, and it maybe that your child is the only one going.

In our area, the local comprehensive tries to send out someone to visit in Primary schools - as this is usually the biggest number of kids, they notify the primary of when they are coming, to make sure the Y6 aren't out on a trip etc. The GS used to have someone who went out to meet everyone but, with 80 odd kids coming from (I would guess) about 65 Primary Schools, spread over a wide geographical range, it is very hard to get out to every single one, when they are in (whilst the school can check they aren't on trips, sometimes children are ill etc). The "visits" were not that long - and when the person who did them, retired, it was decided it was not a best use of time. The visit to the GS for the meeting with the Head and the Induction Days should be enough contact time for most children - assuming, of course, that they have visited the school for Open Days prior to application? If not, why not look at the school calendar and see if there are any concerts etc you can take them to? Our New Y7s are invited to various Junior Concerts, The Ultimate KESK (a fun run for all the family), and can attend school plays etc before they start at the school - all of which are informal opportunities to meet staff and other new Y7s.
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

Thanks I understand what you are saying about small numbers and not visiting, but generally around here each school usually only have approx 1 to 4 pupils who gain admission.In our school in other years only 1 or 2 children passed and the grammar schools have still visited them.

My child did go to the open days, and is looking forward to the induction days, so as long as he/she gets all the information they need then, he/she will be fine.

Thanks for your advice.
Last edited by Minniemooface on Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Not all schools do but we were visited by 2 schools in the week before half term.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now