verbal v's non verbal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

monty1

verbal v's non verbal

Post by monty1 »

Hi, please bear with me as this is my first post although i have been reading the board for a number of months now. I more or less understand the raw score and standardised scores and that 220 is the pass mark, however is more weight carried towards verbal reasoning as apposed to non verbal as there are more questions in the actual test for this or are the points split. The reason I ask is my DD is very good at non verbal and scores between 85-100% on all practice papers and indeed scored 91% on the practise paper at the weekend. Her verbal reasoning can range from 50-80% and is really worring me. She is good at working out codes ect and is ok on timing but she has quite an immature vocabulary and looses points on this area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Her birthday is in July so she will also be one of the youngest taking the test in july. I have printed the word lists ect from this site and just would like to know how I can improve her score consistantly.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Dear Monty,

I am really sorry that somehow I missed your post and you have had no reply for so long.

There is equal weighting on the VR and NVR as scores are standardised; and there is no requirement to "pass" either of the tests individually; you simply have to reach an aggregate score of 220. Thus it is possible to pass with a strong score on one and a weak score on the other.

I hope that the VR has got a bit more consistent with practice? There is a big difference between 50% and 80% - at this stage you are probably best to look at the types of question that are causing the difficulty and do a bit of extra practice on them - when my kids did not know the vocabulary in the questions I used to advise them to eliminate any answers they knew were probably wrong, look for obvious red herrings, then guess! None of mine thought the real thing was any more difficult than the practices they had done - they simply found the time very pressured.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now