Academy Status in Lincs Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

david55

Academy Status in Lincs Grammars

Post by david55 »

I have a number of posts from people in other parts of the country about this but none yet from Lincs.
I read in the press about those schools who have registered an interest and know that 5 Lincs secondaries have applied to change from September 1.
Should most of the grammars go this way ( 2 of the 5 are) - and I can't think of many reasons why they wouldn't , the governors then become the admissions authority and can, if they wish, introduce their own admissions policy.This might affect candidates in a variety of ways, both advantageous and disadvantageous.This could affect the intake from September 2012 onwards.

Remember, although it is recommended good practice to consult widely , the decision rests with the governors alone- it is not a referendum.

Cheers,
Dave S.
Alex

Re: Academy Status in Lincs Grammars

Post by Alex »

There are some amendments which have been agreed to the new Academies Bill:
- schools will have to consult before making the decision to become an Academy
- there are changes concerning the transfer of land
- New Academies will be covered by the Freedom of Information Act
- they will be required to inform parents if their child has SEN and what they are doing to meet their needs; they will have to admit a child with the Academy named on their Statement of SEN (but can appeal to the SofS) and they will have to have a qualified SENCO. (these measures strengthen the requirements on them in comparison to the present position where the wordings are “have regard to” and use “best endeavours”.

Not all schools are enthusiastic about the prospect of becoming an academy; a number are adopting a wait and see stance as there are still a lot of unanswered questions. Some feel that they may be forced into it because schools which are left under LA control may end up losing out financially as LA budgets are squeezed and services provided may become more expensive as the economy of mass is lost.

My children's (Community) GS have said that they would not seek to change the admissions policy.

It will be interesting to see how many schools actually do become Academies in the end.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Our son's GS in Lincs is definately interested in Academy status. We were sent letters home reassuring us there was nothing to worry about,& that they were just 'testing the water' so to speak ! Not sure what the outcome wil be.
david55

Post by david55 »

For those interested, this is a very useful resource.
http://www.education.gov.uk/academies

I understand what Alex has said about the requirement to consult- that does not mean that governing bodies have to take any notice when making a decision- it is their's alone to to decide.

Dave s.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now