Lincolnshire Primary schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
wonderwoman

Re: Lincolnshire Primary schools

Post by wonderwoman »

Just to add my bit as a teacher.

The aim of the selection procedure is to identify the top 25% of the ability range. The official advice from the consortium is no special preparation is necessary. 2 practice papers are sent to primary schools to be used for familiarisation.

My feeling as a teacher is: should 100% of the class spend time working on 11+ type questions, when it is aimed at only 25% of the class? I think I would much rather prioritise reading, which really makes a huge difference to the life chances of the entire ability range.

There is a lot of coaching in my part of Lincolnshire and it has increased over the years. Whilst I'm sure many will disagree, in the time I have been teaching (more than 2 decades), I honestly haven't seen that the huge increase in coaching has made any difference to the type of children that gain a place at grammar school. The test mostly works. Almost all bright children (top 20%) pass, most of the top 25% pass, borderliners (top 30%) go either way and some who are in the top 40% sneak in. I haven't ever known anyone of average or lower ability pass. The appeals procedure is there for those genuinely in the top 25% who for some reason under perform.
LoobyLoo wrote:There were a few other capable children who didn't get a chance because their parents weren't bothered.

I have never seen this in any school I have worked in. I have never met a parent who isn't bothered. I have met parents who have withdrawn very bright children from the procedure for their own reasons. I have also met parents who have had children heavily coached to get a place at a grammar school. I may not always agree with them or think what they are doing is right (I'm talking about 11+), but they are the parents and they know their child best.
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

Wonder woman - you haven't met parents from Newark then! Very bright kids who live in appalling conditions where priority is next benefits cheque and education doesn't even feature. These kids have never known ambition, pride or self believe. Yes it might be the minority but it happens and it's so very sad.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Actually I do :D Very bright children who didn't do 11+ and went to Southwell. They didn't do it because their mother hated being at a grammar school, even though you can't compare schools to how they were 30? years ago & in this case it isn't the same as when we went. Anyway, being very bright, they have excelled and finished school with excellent results and gone on to their first choice universities. However they don't live in hideous circumstances.

I do know and teach the offspring of, for want of a better, word poor parents - but I still believe they care. I can think of some children who did gain places at grammar school, some did well, some didn't because they lacked structure at home. I've also sadly known children who I think live in very, very difficult circumstances - I still do believe their parents care about them and want the best for them, but it is often just about surviving from day to day.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

We all do what we feel is right for our own child & if that means having them educated in another county &/or having them travel long distance to school that's our choice.
The tutoring issue is again personal to you & your own set of circumstances.
Yr 9 son is thriving in his Grammar,but we had to appeal to get him there. I oh so naively thought we faced a level playing field & purchased one set of practise papers only. I had no idea about tutoring,or the extreme measures some parents will go to. Conversations after the exam revealed years of intense extra tuition & parents from as far away as London renting property in Lincolnshire to get that magical Grammar place.
Our local primary was & still is anti 11plus-the head wouldn't even support our appeal !
So,now being able to look at the 11plus & all it entails from a different angle, would I change tactics with my youngest son ? You bet I would. That level playing field just doesn't exist. I did & still do feel to a point,that tutoring may do your child no favours if they then can't cope with the pressure of a Grammar school & may find it all a hellish struggle. I would hope we all know our children well enough to not to push those who would be happier elsewhere.
So,go ahead & tutor where appropriate & where if you're lucky finances allow. At the very least purchase those practise papers & make it fun to the best of your ability at home,I know I'm going to ! Including a change of primary. Can anybody recommend a good one ?!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sallyj, in order to recommend schools could you tell me whereabouts in the county you live?
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hi. Elder son currently commutes from Lincoln to Sleaford for Carre's. He obviously has friends in both places so somewhere in the middle would be ideal for him i.e. Navenby area ? Property around there doesn't come cheap,although it is pretty :) Money goes a lot further in Metheringham/Digby etc. Younger son is currently yr2,so we're looking at the move to juniors in Sept. I'm hoping he will then follow big brother to Carre's. His current primary seems to go from bad to worse,so anywhere that even admits the 11plus exists has to be better :roll: Thanks for your interest.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm sorry, I don't know that area well, although I seem to remember that Navenby got a good Ofsted some time ago when we were looking... :( Good luck!