Info on Caistor Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Re: Info on Caistor Grammar

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Angie,
I know it seems confusing, but if your son doesn't qualify for his first choice, but does for his second he'll be offered it! Caistor are, I think, assuming that if you qualified you would want to go there and are therefore encouraging you to put them first! So, if you would like your DC to go to QEGS, the simple answer is to put it first. :)
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Thanks again.
I have been reading so much info on here and on the Lincolnshire County Council website and all about admissions into the Grammar Schools which is getting very confusing.
I was led to believe that Caistor did their own selection which made me think they would know which order of preference i placed them.
I will just have wait and see how he does with his tests in Sept and try and relax in the meantime. :)
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hi Angie - I assume the 13.6 miles last place offered is referring to Caistor? As for Sep 12 entry at QEHS it was 12.6 miles.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Schools do not see where you put them on the preference list. You should put the schools in your genuine order of preference. It is only the LA who sees the order of preferences - so that they can allocate you the highest of your preferences which is able to offer you a place. Each school will rank you according to their oversubscription criteria only. Luckily we know the results in Lincolnshire before we have to submit the application for secondary school which helps.
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Hi Alex,

I was referring to QEHS about distance so can only presume that the lady on the phone made a mistake when telling me it went out as far as 13.6 miles. Caistor sems to take from quite a way at times as it takes highest score into account.
Stocky has just informed me that QEHS only went as far as 12.6 miles and it was a low sibling yr also. It is going to be such a worry i guess but there is not much we can do as moving is not going to be an option as we would need to have moved by sept this yr for it to make a difference for a entry in 2013.
Thank yo for your advice. I think we are going to have to find a plan B although the comprehensives where we live are not doing so well. Its such a shame that there are such differences in the standard of education.

Regards

Angie76 :)
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Sorry that last message was meant for Stocky.

Alex thanks though for your info.

I will try and switch off from this now (well till tomorrow :lol: )
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Hi Angie - one thing this school and stats has taught me in the last 12m is that it is unpredictable and the stats have no correlation, as far as numbers passing, distance, siblings etc go. It really does depend on where the people who pass live. Last year when more people passed and there were also more siblings I would have been higher up the reserve list than this year when less passed and there were less siblings. My friend this year (at 12.78 miles didn't get a place and 12.78 miles has had a place for x years etc) I did do a FOI request before this years allocations, to see in previous years where the people who weren't offered a place were etc, just for my own benefit. At 13.9miles I thought we were closeish (on occasions), but as far as I knew there could be 30 people sitting at 13.5 miles etc, it shows at 13+ you are close, but no correlation. My DD plays for a cricket club in a village 13 miles from QEHS and I found out this year, that 6 people from that village moved into Gainsborough (started renting) after results day but before 31 October to secure a place, as they knew they were borderline on distance (if they hadn't moved they would not have got in). They still live in Gainsborough now, but will most certainly move back. I think Alex put the FOI results on a sticky??? Its an awful time, when you live at that point, I totally know how you feel. Main focus for you now though is DS passing, but have a plan B, C etc.
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Thanks Stocky

It appears that so many people go and rent for a temporary time. I was told that the move had to be 12 months prior to intake though so cannot understand how people can then move in the Oct and then overtake others in obtaining a place. I have to say i have considered it but the reality is we have made the decision that then you have the worry that you up sticks and then place our son under emmence pressure to then pass. I could not put him in that predicament. Thats not to say that i wont consider a move closer to Gainsborough if he did receive a place as that would make things easier in the long term.
Will speak to you soon

Angie76
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

Angie,
We must live quite close (13.7m by google map directions to QEHSG)!
Friends who have had kids get into CGS in previous years have been given clear indication in the results letter that their kids will get in on the marks they have got, or will not. There must be a borderline group too, iyswim, but I've not come across these. My understanding is that over the last however many years, they tend to fill about half their places with 'in catchment' kids, leaving half for the rest of us.

I was at the CGS open day too and he didn't say you wouldn't get in if you didn't put them first, just that if they indicated you would get in (high enough mark), AND you put them first, then you would, iirc.

Although my dd is sitting the test at QEHSG, we're not really considering it for application, more interested in KEVIGS Louth, as we're looking to move in the next year (can't quite swing it before Sep, shame), but it's more convenient to sit the test at Gainsborough.

hth.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

FluxCapacity wrote:
I was at the CGS open day too and he didn't say you wouldn't get in if you didn't put them first, just that if they indicated you would get in (high enough mark), AND you put them first, then you would, iirc.

hth.
If you qualify for another school and put them above CGS, or wherever else you are considering, you'll be offered the first school for which you qualify ie satisfy their entry requirements.