Hi How is everyone doing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rainy

Hi How is everyone doing?

Post by Rainy »

Hi just thought I would see how everyone is doing? I imagine like me, you and your children are having a rollercoaster of a summer with the impending exam in Sept. My stress levels are up but we are going away for a few days as a surprise for my son.Hopefully the fun time we have planned will be a a tonic before resuming papers.I think he is feeling pressured as time passes as he wants so badly to go to the same school as his big brother.
Best wishes to all of you on the 11+ journey take care
Rainy
secondtime

Re: Hi How is everyone doing?

Post by secondtime »

Hi
It's grim having to get them to do papers over the holidays. DD not complaining too much :o
Whatever she does, I will have to get used to a new school. Both older children are boys and go to school together.
At this stage I will just be glad when it is all over!
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

We haven't done much over the summer, and she's not keen on sitting down to do it. Dad, little sis, she and I all did a 10 min VR test today (IPS) and she got 100%, so that helped her confidence, and then she's done a 30 min/ 50 question IPS one, and did great, so I'm thinking I really should trust that she'll do ok. She's generally better at NVR too. And she's one of the young ones... they've just crept up so quickly, and first test is next Saturday. Just want her to get the hang of timing, and relaxing, and moving on if it's too hard/slow. Gulp. Haven't got any real-life friends I can talk to about this stuff really, without sounding totally fruitloopy and pushy parent and obsessive, so thank you for a small outlet!
Celtic Worrier

Post by Celtic Worrier »

My son has had enough of it, can barely get him to do 10 mins a day but at least he is reading. Not going to push anymore now will do a practice test at the weekend and maybe one in the week and then that's it, now school has started again he is tired and just doesn't have the energy to do much. I don't know if it is a boy thing but he won't write down any workings out that could help him, just does it in his head - aaargh! I'm quite calm about it all at the moment not sure how long that will last though - he is doing fine, think it all comes down to how he is on the day. I'm the same as you flux, no real live friends to talk to about this, other half glazing over when I talk about it
Anyhow not long now, good luck to you all and thank goodness for this forum
CW
samslack

Post by samslack »

My son has been fantastic all summer and has really enjoyed keeping his brain active. Now he's back at school it is hard to get him to settle after school and the end result is silly mistakes. I have decided to leave it up to him and fate (except for a little bit this weekend). I am so nervous but he seems to be taking it all in his stride!

Good luck to everyone next weekend
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Just as I was quite confident :shock: , my daughter did 2 practice papers and scored the lowest she has EVER scored on either type.
They like to keep you on your toes don't they?!!
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Hi my son did a nv paper last week and got his lowest score he was so upset and has knocked his confidence.I reasurred him that it was just one paper out of the many he has done and not to dwell on it. We looked at the paper a few days later and he managed to do the corrections very quickly.I told him we all have off days and not to worry. Like all of you I will be glad when it is all over. Good luck to everyone for next Saturday, my son has got the early group for his exams so at least he can get it over and done with!
Disney-Mum

Post by Disney-Mum »

I think the weeks running up to exams is as hard on us parents as the kids - I think I am panicking more than my son....

He is currently sat doing a practice paper, with his dad doing one at the same time. To be fair, my son has had much more practice and his dad is new to VR - should be interesting ;-)

Always finding new ways to keep them entertained, haha!

x
FluxCapacity

Post by FluxCapacity »

Disney, this seems to be what's working for us this week. DD is quite happy to do long paper practice so long as one of us does it too - she doesn't feel she's missing out on fun that way, and seems to concentrate better, managing to finish the paper in time, phew! She's actually asked to do another tomorrow because she was chuffed with her score today, so that's good for her confidence (so long as tomorrow's goes ok...).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now