Working out raw scores for QEHS????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JRM

Re: Working out raw scores for QEHS????

Post by JRM »

It doesn't matter at all. At QEHS once you reach the required standard you just go into the hat and then they apply their criteria in order (child in care, sibling, distance).

But it doesn't stop me being nosey. I could call it intellectual curiosity and dress it up, but in reality I am just a nosey so and so!
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Well done to all your DC's and thanks Angie - what a year!!!! Test 1 raw score is out of 100 and test 2 raw score is out of 65 and that is part of the reason for standardisation - to apply equal weighting to papers with different numbers of questions. I was curious too last year with DD, especially when they have not just passed but passed well, its just natural that you would want to see what that means compared with papers they have done etc.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Oh and QEHS didn't give out scores with results last year, you had to request them. JRM - the pass mark is 220 the maximum is 282, to pass is a fantastic achievement, so you know from your DC's score where they sit in that range and therefore what is a 'good' score.
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Oh yes what a year it has been but definitely worth it. Think as parents we are bound to be nosey and rightly so!!! After all they are our children, our pride and joy!!
It's lovely to read on here how supportive parents are with regards to their DC's education.
Once again well done to all. We are buzzing in this house with the letters he has from both Caistor and QEHS x x x

Angie76 :D
JRM

Post by JRM »

Thanks Stocky. I am one of those lurkers that only really appeared at last minute, but have found this place very useful. It has certainly been an intersting year - but as the letter reminded us it's not over yet. We can't relax until the actual places are offered - if the distance things changes due to the number of pupils it could all feel like it was for nothing. But we're trying not to think about that for now.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

Very well done anyway! Try and relax a bit, it is a tough wait.
Alex

Post by Alex »

The only way to work out raw score from the Standardised score is with the Standardisation table for this year and Standardisation tables seem to be closely guarded secrets. However I can confirm that it is quite possible to get 100% raw score and not get the top Standardised mark and likewise to get a few wrong and come out with a top Standardised score.

I am not sure whether anyone has ever done this in Lincolnshire but I think in some other areas schools have looked at whether 11+ scores actually correlate closely with achievement at GCSE and A level and found that they didn't...I do remember one of the members of staff who deals with admissions at one of the Grammar schools here saying to me that they found the CATS scores to be better indicators overall.

As has been pointed out score does not really matter unless the school allocates on score order, though a high score may sometimes be useful if you have to appeal for a place and have something more specific to say about why you want that particular school for your child and why the score may be relevant to that.
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Hello again

My other main reason for asking is my DS has asked how many questions he got right!
I have no idea based on the standardised score. Whenever he does tests at school he always try's to get all the questions correct. He doesn't understand that he had 100 questions on his paper 1 but his score is much more and less questions on paper 2 and again a much higher score.
Difficult to answer his question as I don't fully understand what the score means with regard to his raw score.
I have told him so many times score does not matter and he realises this but he is very curious about how many he may have got wrong.
I am so very proud of him and this journey has been worth it. I have had some great support from various people on this forum which I am truly grateful for x

Angie76 :D