Working out raw scores for QEHS????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Angie76

Working out raw scores for QEHS????

Post by Angie76 »

Hi anyone who can help

My DS passed with a fab score for QEHS but myself and friends were wondering how we can work out the raw so wondered if anyone could help ?

Also does anyone know what the maximum score they could have got ?

I thought each question was worth 1 point so unsure how they have worked out these standardised scores.

Any info much appreciated :D

Angie76
looleeuk

Re: Working out raw scores for QEHS????

Post by looleeuk »

Sorry, I can't actually help with your q as I know nothing about QEHS, I was just wondering is the raw score really important then? If it is that important wouldn't they tell us it? I remember someone saying a while back I think the max points was 286.

Hope someone else has proper info for you :)
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I would say it's nearly impossible. It all depends on the child's date of birth and their actual age on the day of the test. An August birthday child could get the same standardised score as a September birthday child with a significantly lower raw score.

Raw scores are not important in this test at all. Some children with the same raw score will 'pass' and some will 'fail'. Some children will 'pass' with a lower raw score than some who 'fail'. Don't worry about it.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

My understanding is that the standardised score is based on the cohort for the whole consortium not just QEHS, but as ww says and as I have read on previous posts/threads over the year its impossible to work back to an actual raw score for all the reasons ww says. The maximum I was told by QEHS is 282, 141 for each paper.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

if you read the section on standardisation it will tell you more. Also the raw score attained by a child born in a particular month one year may be enough to pass, but in another year may not as it depends on the cohort that year.
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Thanks for the replies x

I'm not worried at all as my DS has a fantastic score just curious.
Wonder how they arrive at these scores though as I was led to believe each answer was worth 1 point each. I thought that the maximum score would be out of 180 as test one was 100 questions and test 2 apparently in 5 sections 80 questions in total (don't quote me on that though).
Interesting to know how they work out the scores.
My son is 11 in Nov.

Angie76 :D
Angie76

Post by Angie76 »

Thanks stocky for answering my question about that maximum they could have got.
Bet you are thrilled to bits about you DS attending the same school as your DD. Don't know how you have coped going through this twice. At least it's sometime now before you go through it all again x

Angie76 :D
JRM

Post by JRM »

That curious friend was me! Just out of pure nosiness really. We are fortunate to be at a stage where is is all academic, but a teacher friend asked me if he had got a good mark and I had no idea what counted as good. Obviously the only thing that matters is that he passed, and we are very pleased, but I don't like the unknown and I'd love to know how many he got on each paper. Just because I don't like unknowns.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Disney-Mum

Post by Disney-Mum »

Stocky wrote:My understanding is that the standardised score is based on the cohort for the whole consortium not just QEHS, but as ww says and as I have read on previous posts/threads over the year its impossible to work back to an actual raw score for all the reasons ww says. The maximum I was told by QEHS is 282, 141 for each paper.

WOW, Stocky, if that information is correct I am blown away. We got our results today from QEHS, and his total was 269 with 141 in test 2!

I am not telling him the scores, because he doesn't 'need' to know - but I am doing a private happy dance!

He also passed his Caistor Exam, but no scores are given for that one.

WELL DONE everyone, I hope you are all as happy as I am right now!!!!

x
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

JRM wrote:That curious friend was me! Just out of pure nosiness really. We are fortunate to be at a stage where is is all academic, but a teacher friend asked me if he had got a good mark and I had no idea what counted as good. Obviously the only thing that matters is that he passed, and we are very pleased, but I don't like the unknown and I'd love to know how many he got on each paper. Just because I don't like unknowns.
The score doesn't really matter unless children are admitted in score order. It is possible to get the maximum standardised score without getting maximum raw scores.