Help! Are these scores high enough for KGGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToodlePip

Help! Are these scores high enough for KGGS?

Post by ToodlePip »

On past papers our daughter consistently scores in the mid 80s (between 82-86) on Verbal Reasoning papers, and consistently 52-54 on the Non Verbal Reasoning papers. She's done about 30 each of them. She easily completes them within time and seems quite relaxed. She finished Yr 5 on a Level 5c for Reading and Level 4a for both numeracy and literacy. So, I think she's quite clever but I haven't had her tutored for the 11+. Just got all the Letts packs and the Bond packs, and some past papers.

I know that after the test an algorithm is also applied to determine what the pass mark is each year. But, we're slightly out of catchment (about 8 miles from KGGS) and just wondered if she's scoring high enough to get in?

She sits the VR paper tomorrow, and would really like some guage as to whether she's in with a chance?

Thanks in advance.
IronMikeTyson

Re: Help! Are these scores high enough for KGGS?

Post by IronMikeTyson »

Hi-everyone has a chance and performance on the day counts as well as handling nerves. Some kids score 95% in NVR and VR but on the day they may come across a new type of problem and have to think on their feet.

Sounds like your dd has a good chance
"To err is human;to forgive ,divine"
ToodlePip

Post by ToodlePip »

Thank you. I just don't know how her scores would translate into a percentage? I suppose I'm just hoping that someone will reply saying 'Oh, yes my daughter was scoring about those marks and she got a place, no problem'

I do know that anything can happen on the day but she seems very relaxed so think she'll score about the same (hopefully).
Alex

Post by Alex »

For KGGS the actual score doesn't matter so long as the aggregate standardised score of 220 is attained. The school allocates on siblings and distance criteria.

It is impossible to translate practice scores into standardised scores as each test is individually standardised for its particular cohort and age at test time also matters.

As a very rough guide the received wisdom seems to be that over 75% in raw marks across the two tests would get a pass in most years. Most children drop a few marks in the actual tests compared to practice.

Good luck to your daughter!
ToodlePip

Post by ToodlePip »

Thank you for that Alex

So, it looks like my daughter is roughly scoring approx. 85% for the VR papers and and about the same for the NVR? That's sounds quite hopeful, even if she drops a few marks on the day. We're about 6-7 miles from Grantham so hope this doesn't count against her too much. Though I do know of girls who travel in from 14 miles away e.g. Radcliffe on Trent - but I always assume they must have passed with a seriously high score in order to have won a place at KGGS?
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

Sounds good to me.
6-7 miles always get in if they pass. So the mileage is irrelevant to you. The score is also not analysed (like Kings). She needs to pass. Good Luck tomorrow and next Saturday. Sounds like she will be great :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now