School transport areas Lincs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Briggshall

School transport areas Lincs

Post by Briggshall »

Campaign group to get LCC to review school DTA areas in Lincs to give choice of schools to all children not just 75% of kids in Lincs. Support #EuitableSchTransportPolicy http://epetitionslincolnshire.firmstep. ... port-areas campaigners needed to spread word in affected areas.
wonderwoman

Re: School transport areas Lincs

Post by wonderwoman »

'to ensure that all areas of Lincolnshire are included in a DTA that gives equal access, opportunity and choice to Grammar Schools and the like'

What does 'and the like' mean? I would like transport to a comprehensive.
Alex

Post by Alex »

It seems to mean that they believe academically bright children who pass the 11+ should be able to get free transport to a grammar school even if they live in a designated "comprehensive" area whereas the rest remain able to get transport only to their nearest school whether or not there is another school which might meet their needs (sporting, social, emotional, SEN etc) better, though I agree that the wording is not clear.

From time to time a directly opposing point of view has been put to LCC, that it should scrap the DTAs and move to a simple system of only providing the transport which it is bound to do by statute, that is, to the nearest available school over the statutory walking distance. LCC has said, so far, that it still wishes to support the Grammar School system by allowing the DTAs to continue. School transport is a huge cost to the council due to its size and rural nature and there are constant drives to try to reduce it.
Briggshall

Post by Briggshall »

Grammar Schools and the "LIKE" refer to selective schools not classified as Grammars eg. Walton Girls School in Grantham. We have more than 850 signatures supporting the campaign to offer "choices" rather than the one designated secondary school. 75% of Lincs have the choice. #EquitableSchTransportPolicy. DTAs for Grammar Schools is discretionary by LCCbut currently only offefed to 75-80% of children in Lincs.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I am unclear about how Walton Girls' is selective - it is not academically selective. Do you mean because it is an all girls' school?

DTAs are rather strange as they date back a long way and follow parish boundaries. There are a lot of anomalies in the way they work so that a child living in a particular village might be able to get free transport to any one of three or more non-selective secondary schools as well as a grammar whereas in another village a child might only get free transport to one secondary school.

School transport is a massive cost to LCC and I think any revision is far more likely to involve cutting discretionary transport than adding to it. There have been discussions in the past about scrapping the DTAs and going to a simple "nearest available over statutory walking distance" system. Pupils who pass the 11+, who can get into a Grammar school and who live in the selective areas of the county already get an enhanced deal compared to "non-selective" children.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

I agree with you Alex, the wording is very vague and I thought it was probably started in the Grantham area from some of the names on the list - though we are some distance away and I don't really know much about the range of schools there. And you're right there are some very odd transport arrangements in Lincs already.

Plenty of parents fund the transport to alternative schools of their choice - which I think is right as if you campaign for free transport to grammars that would be unfair to the 75% who fail to gain a place at a GS. Why should they not be entitled to free transport to a school their parents believe is more suitable for their child's needs.
Briggshall wrote:75% of Lincs have the choice.
What does this refer to? the choice of more than 1 school, secondary school or just a GS?
Briggshall wrote:We have more than 850 signatures supporting the campaign to offer "choices" rather than the one designated secondary school.
That does not surprise me at all. But it doesn't persuade me this is fair. I believe if you choose to send your child to any school out of area when there is a closer school that can meet their needs, then the parent has to be responsible for transport. Also this is not perculiar to Lincs - my friends in London have to pay the transport to their preferred school.