Practice Paper Rules

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

carraway

Practice Paper Rules

Post by carraway »

Hello

I've been trying to find out what the rules are for the practice papers the children will take in the summer before their real tests. It seems as if theses are marked in the primary schools. But then what? Can parents have the tests to bring home? It would be great to spot last any weaker areas.
Does anyone know what the official policy is?

Thanks
Alex

Re: Practice Paper Rules

Post by Alex »

Generally the papers are not allowed to be taken home. Until the papers changed last year the practice papers used were the same year on year - I am not sure whether this will still be the case or not with the newer tests.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Hi Carraway
The practice papers may be used as the primary school sees fit within the guidelines of the grammar schools consortium. Some primaries use them in the summer others wait until pupils return to school in the Autumn so it is fresh. I don't think there is any obligation for the primaries to mark the paper - they are used to familiarise and explain. So pupils will be able to ask for help and their teacher will go through examples and some answers with the class. They will also be able to practise working at speed.
Your school may well have a meeting to explain the whole process and how they will use the papers. I have never known papers go home.
Remember that the best preparation is reading.
WW
carraway

Post by carraway »

Thank you for your replies Alex and Wonder Woman.
Your primary school sounds very different to my local one Wonder Woman. They do no 11plus practice/familiarisation at all. The teachers don't go over the practice papers. I was told it's 'Gentleman's Agreement' not to practice. Although I have friends with children at other South Lincs schools and I know that not every school sticks to this. The children taking the 11 plus go into a separate room and to the test there, then we can phone in for the score a week or so later and that's it.
It seems it is not a level playing field.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now