When, where to start??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jasper

When, where to start??

Post by Jasper »

Hi everyone,

What an excellent site, can't believe my luck when stumbling across it earleir today.

My question is, my son is currently year 5, he is 9 and 10 in March 2008. When should he be starting to practice for his 11+?

How does he get an 11+ exam? Is it done through his primary school by the teachers or do I have to apply somewhere?

sorry for the daft questions, but his always wanted to follow his cousins and through Grammar school and now it seems that time is almost here.

Cordially

Jasper :D

Post by Guest »

Helloooo anyone there who can help or advise. :roll:

Jasper
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Anonymous wrote:Helloooo anyone there who can help or advise. :roll: Jasper
Hi Jasper,

Not many users logged on at the moment probably busy with that xmas thing. :D We do have some very knowledgeable posters in Lincolnshire. Try reading through all the previous threads it will give you a flavour of other people's experiences. 8)

Looking at Lincolnshire,
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... php?t=4525

I would suggest as it's VR & NVR and so you can start slow I would allow about twelve months. However NFER say the first few papers produce most of the improvement.

Can't help with when & where but I am sure a local expert will be along shortly. :)

Good luck with your preparation,

stevew61
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Thank you very much for your time steve61! :D

Jasper
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Is there anybody there, there, there, ther, the, th, t????????
that can answer the rest of my question, anyone in Lincolnshire????

Jasper
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi Jasper,

You can start in January - that is plenty of time.

Otherwise you could register and PM some Lincolnshire regulars - I think, as Steve61 says, most people are taking a break from 11+ prep and doing some shopping!
Jellywobble

Just taken 2007 exam

Post by Jellywobble »

Hi Jasper,
As a Lincs resident we got the 11+ through the primary school. However, if you are even remotely interested in the exam, then I would recommend you do some practice with your child, as the schools themselves normally have a policy of only the minimum of help.

As a summary, my daughter did the two practice papers in the June of year 5, then the actual papers are taken in consecutive weeks in mid-Sept.

We bought the four available NFER papers in the January, but only did one before the June practice. The other practice papers were done over the Summer hols. Plus we did a few of the Bond 10 minute tests. That was enough practice for her to get a good pass.

To introduce it slowly is a good idea. Does your child like puzzle books? Or even the "brain training" type things. Anything to get the grey cells moving.

Good luck to you. And keep visiting. Both my children have now passed, but I can't keep away from the forum - it gets addictive!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Jasper,

Your son will take the tests in September 2008. If you are in a selective school area the tests will be applied for via the primary school and, depending on the area you live in, taken either in the primary school or at the local grammar school. If you live out of area you will have to apply direct to the Grammar School to take the tests - they usually invite applications in April onwards - you can telephone them to find out.

When to start practising is an individual decision. Some like a long, fairly leisurely build up and start around this time of year; others pack in some intense work over the summer. I would be inclined to try a couple of tests to ascertain just how happy your son is with this type of testing and see how much work you may need to put in and take it from there.

There is plenty of information in this Lincs area of the forum about which practice tests are most useful and about the structure and format of the tests and if you get stuck on anything then someone will usually answer your queries. Good Luck.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now