Good luck

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rhinoguy

Re: Good luck

Post by Rhinoguy »

Minniemooface wrote:Just a bit of information for parents, who are interested in Kevigs, Louth.

The school do not give out the scores, if you child has passed the test. However, the letter you receive informing you that your child has passed, does give some indication of how your child has performed.

When my child passed last year, it stated - strongly recommend is suitable for grammar school. I have also known friends that letter has stated suitable for grammar school as well.

So I am presuming that if it says strongly recommend , that they have performed really well. And also suitable, that they have done well to. I am not sure what they would put if the pass was borderline/only just though.

But as least it gives you some idea of how your child did.

Hope this might help a bit.
Thanks for the advice , makes sense with "strongly recommended that is suitable " and other - suitable. Anyway, DS don't mind that I cram NVR onto him as only 4 more nights plus expects loads of treats after the exam. But i have cancelled his after school activities this week so he would have time.
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

Minniemooface wrote:Just a bit of information for parents, who are interested in Kevigs, Louth.

The school do not give out the scores, if you child has passed the test. However, the letter you receive informing you that your child has passed, does give some indication of how your child has performed.

When my child passed last year, it stated - strongly recommend is suitable for grammar school. I have also known friends that letter has stated suitable for grammar school as well.

So I am presuming that if it says strongly recommend , that they have performed really well. And also suitable, that they have done well to. I am not sure what they would put if the pass was borderline/only just though.

But as least it gives you some idea of how your child did.

Hope this might help a bit.
That would actually be more helpful than the score anyway, although I'm still expecting some sleepless nights as March gets closer!
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

When i’n practicing with my DS, timed him .... ran out of time , looks like he needs to allow 30 seconds per question ! :( 6 minutes for 12 questions so it’s 30 seconds. I guess he needs to get most of questions right and then make a guess the answers when under 1 minute....
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

Just out of interest to, dc started Kevigs this September. I have been told by my child that there are only about 128-130 places in her year, so only 4 form groups. (Out of 150 places). I know that in total for my childs 11 plus test when she took it, 113 were in catchment and passed and 67 out of catchment passed, so a total of 180 children . So just because lots of children pass, it doesn't mean that they will all want a place at the school. Maybe they decided on Caistor, Alford as first choice etc. So according to my calculations, approx 20 places were not filled .

The previous year, there were a lot more places taken, as they had to split the year into 4 form groups, plus an additional shared form ( making 5 forms to total), so the total number of pupils for that year must have been nearer 150.

The point I am making is that you don't really know how many children will put the school as a first choice, or indeed how many are really serious about grammar schools, even if they take the test. So it might be that one year loads of children want to go, or in other years they don't.

Also, I have not heard that you need to be scoring 100% in the exams to get in. I had heard about 80% upwards you would have a chance, although this was for in catchment though.
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Minniemooface wrote:Just out of interest to, dc started Kevigs this September. I have been told by my child that there are only about 128-130 places in her year, so only 4 form groups. (Out of 150 places). I know that in total for my childs 11 plus test when she took it, 113 were in catchment and passed and 67 out of catchment passed, so a total of 180 children . So just because lots of children pass, it doesn't mean that they will all want a place at the school. Maybe they decided on Caistor, Alford as first choice etc. So according to my calculations, approx 20 places were not filled .

The previous year, there were a lot more places taken, as they had to split the year into 4 form groups, plus an additional shared form ( making 5 forms to total), so the total number of pupils for that year must have been nearer 150.

The point I am making is that you don't really know how many children will put the school as a first choice, or indeed how many are really serious about grammar schools, even if they take the test. So it might be that one year loads of children want to go, or in other years they don't.

Also, I have not heard that you need to be scoring 100% in the exams to get in. I had heard about 80% upwards you would have a chance, although this was for in catchment though.
Interesting , many thanks for sharing out this info... my DS will give his best shot on this Saturday... shall see....
Lancashire lass

Post by Lancashire lass »

OMGosh!!!! Massive melt down by DS today whilst doing a NVR paper and I managed to loose my calm, after trying really hard to talk him to calm down and being extra patient!!! He is finding that he is on track with time and then in the last few questions time runs away with him and he isn't managing to stay calm !!! In the end he still got 80% but he was not happy with the score ..... roll on 11am on Saturday because I can't take this much longer. Still have to get through the next 3 days still.
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Lancashire lass wrote:OMGosh!!!! Massive melt down by DS today whilst doing a NVR paper and I managed to loose my calm, after trying really hard to talk him to calm down and being extra patient!!! He is finding that he is on track with time and then in the last few questions time runs away with him and he isn't managing to stay calm !!! In the end he still got 80% but he was not happy with the score ..... roll on 11am on Saturday because I can't take this much longer. Still have to get through the next 3 days still.
I understand your pain , my DS did his daily one hour practice , (yes trying to be calm as possible! ). when he is 30 seconds to go, then he made last 3 with guesses which got correct one ! I told him to take guesses when running out of time rather than leaving blank boxes.... two more nights to practice ! He could’nt wait to get it over with as it’s robbing his carefree time but he understand grammar school is best option ....... :shock:
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

Minniemooface wrote:Just out of interest to, dc started Kevigs this September. I have been told by my child that there are only about 128-130 places in her year, so only 4 form groups. (Out of 150 places). I know that in total for my childs 11 plus test when she took it, 113 were in catchment and passed and 67 out of catchment passed, so a total of 180 children . So just because lots of children pass, it doesn't mean that they will all want a place at the school. Maybe they decided on Caistor, Alford as first choice etc. So according to my calculations, approx 20 places were not filled .

That's very interesting. I've obviously misunderstood about the intake numbers. I could have sworn the headteacher said it was increasing from 120 to 150 for the 2018 intake. (I assumed the 2017 planned intake must have been 120, plus the odd few who get in on appeal, but obviously not from what you've said). I can't find anything to confirm what I thought in writing, and going by what you've said, the intake has been 150 for at least two years, so there isn't actually an increased intake this year. I was hoping there would be more places than usual for out of catchment, but it looks like I was getting my hopes up too high.

I agree that I've never heard of 100% being needed for a catchment place at KEVIGS, or even anything close to it - most seem to suggest around 80% would be enough, like you say. I wish we were in catchment!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

According to the relevant years' admissions policies, PAN was 120 for 2017 entry and will be for 2018.

http://www.kevigs.org/policies/4594009645
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

ToadMum wrote:According to the relevant years' admissions policies, PAN was 120 for 2017 entry and will be for 2018.

http://www.kevigs.org/policies/4594009645
That's what I saw when I looked to check what I thought about the intake being 150. It definitely is 150 next year, so it looks like that information just hasn't been updated. I just got in a muddle thinking it was changing to 150 next year, but it must have changed to 150 a couple of years ago from what the mum above said about it.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now