Good Luck to everyone sitting Lincs NVR tomorrow

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rhinoguy

Re: Good Luck to everyone sitting Lincs NVR tomorrow

Post by Rhinoguy »

Just wondering if Kevigs gives out standardised scores on results letter ? So I can have an idea on chances of getting the placement as we live out of catchment.
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

No it does not, you only get the scores if you child did not pass. See below for what letter roughly says:

Dear Mr/Mrs ----------

I am pleased to tell you that in the recent entrance testing --------------- passed the test, and is eligible for a place at the school.
It then goes on to state that in the past 3 years, the school has offered places to all the children who have passed the test, lived inside the designated transport area, went to feeder school, siblings, put school as 1ST choice on CAF. Then it tells you the number of children they are allowing into the school: 150.

Then it says;

We would strongly recommend/ or recommend ( wording dependant on how your child has performed in the tests,)

that in order to guarantee ----------------- a place at school, you complete the CAF and submit before 31st October. The local authority will then make you a formal offer on the 1st March.

It then states in bold letters, that the letter is simply to confirm the results of the recent testing, and is not an offer of a place at any school, and that the local authorities make the offers.

Also says if you are still undecided which school is best, to arrange another tour of the school to help you to decide. It then goes on to congratulate the child on passing the test, and subject to the local authority decision making process, they hope to be able to welcome -------------------- into the school in September ----.

They do not give the scores out, as they do not want the children telling each other what they got, and comparing themselves to each other. I know that all the children's primary schools receive the actual test scores, but are told not to divulge them. Some schools do tell you, some don't. My childs school did not.

Also, another bit of advice, we were told by teachers, make sure you put the school you definitely want as 1st choice on your CAF.

Hope this helps.
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Minniemooface wrote:No it does not, you only get the scores if you child did not pass. See below for what letter roughly says:

Dear Mr/Mrs ----------

I am pleased to tell you that in the recent entrance testing --------------- passed the test, and is eligible for a place at the school.
It then goes on to state that in the past 3 years, the school has offered places to all the children who have passed the test, lived inside the designated transport area, went to feeder school, siblings, put school as 1ST choice on CAF. Then it tells you the number of children they are allowing into the school: 150.

Then it says;

We would strongly recommend/ or recommend ( wording dependant on how your child has performed in the tests,)

that in order to guarantee ----------------- a place at school, you complete the CAF and submit before 31st October. The local authority will then make you a formal offer on the 1st March.

It then states in bold letters, that the letter is simply to confirm the results of the recent testing, and is not an offer of a place at any school, and that the local authorities make the offers.

Also says if you are still undecided which school is best, to arrange another tour of the school to help you to decide. It then goes on to congratulate the child on passing the test, and subject to the local authority decision making process, they hope to be able to welcome -------------------- into the school in September ----.

They do not give the scores out, as they do not want the children telling each other what they got, and comparing themselves to each other. I know that all the children's primary schools receive the actual test scores, but are told not to divulge them. Some schools do tell you, some don't. My childs school did not.

Also, another bit of advice, we were told by teachers, make sure you put the school you definitely want as 1st choice on your CAF.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I understand - good policy to stop kids / parents to boast around with the scores etc and make fresh start once started Y7 there. Anyway does the letter says about the number of pupils passing the test - in and out of catchment ? So the wordings - strongly recommend / recommend is interesting and it would suffice...
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

but I feel they are discriminating against the kids who work hard and have the ability to forge ahead. It's to protect the weaker students. But I feel that competition is a good thing, otherwise you have no measure of your ability. Anyway, that's the rule, so hopefully DS will get into the school.
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

No, the letter does not tell you how many passed the tests, and numbers for in and out of catchment. Maybe if you phoned the school, after you have received the results they might be able to tell you. Or maybe give you an indication of where your child stands with regards to all the others, even if they don't give you a score they might be able to advise you if it is a high enough score for out of catchment to feel comfortable that you might get a place. Then again they might not give out any advise, and just leave it to the local authority to sort out. Please remember the school do not allocate the places, the education authority do.

I think the numbers for who passed the tests in and out of catchment are usually updated in the January on the Kevigs website. I did a search, when my child was about to do the test and it showed me test results for 2015/2016 when I searched. But now under admissions it shows the results for 2016/2017, which is the actual tests she took. This appeared some time in the New Year.

So you should be able to find this out in January 2018, not that it helps you with regards to filling in your CAF for the end of October.
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

I heard that there were less children taking the Caistor test than usual this year, and a lot more taking the test at KEVIGS (I believe over 350 this year, but no idea what a typical number would be.)

Has anyone heard the same / different? It makes me wonder if we've done DD a disservice not applying for both schools.
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Ellarootoo wrote:I heard that there were less children taking the Caistor test than usual this year, and a lot more taking the test at KEVIGS (I believe over 350 this year, but no idea what a typical number would be.)

Has anyone heard the same / different? It makes me wonder if we've done DD a disservice not applying for both schools.
But number of pupils taking non verbal tests at Kevigs is less than the verbal one ? Think a lot has given up due steuggling with verbal (guess less prepared ones are affected ) We only did the tests at Kevigs , not Caistor .... oh well, will see what happens, but not everyone will pass the test. I have given my best shot and DS sailed through both tests......
Ellarootoo

Post by Ellarootoo »

Rhinoguy wrote:
Ellarootoo wrote:I heard that there were less children taking the Caistor test than usual this year, and a lot more taking the test at KEVIGS (I believe over 350 this year, but no idea what a typical number would be.)

But number of pupils taking non verbal tests at Kevigs is less than the verbal one ? Think a lot has given up due steuggling with verbal (guess less prepared ones are affected ) We only did the tests at Kevigs , not Caistor .... oh well, will see what happens, but not everyone will pass the test. I have given my best shot and DS sailed through both tests......
I didn't know that, but it makes sense not to put a child through a second test if they definitely struggled with the first. How did you know fewer children took the NVR? Just from seeing them going in, or did someone tell you?
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Ellarootoo wrote:
Rhinoguy wrote:

I didn't know that, but it makes sense not to put a child through a second test if they definitely struggled with the first. How did you know fewer children took the NVR? Just from seeing them going in, or did someone tell you?
Less parents in Newton Hall and fewer kids coming out of hall comparing to verbal test and number is parents that I know telling me that they are pulling out. Shall see, shame about school being secretive as don’t reveal everything on letter (14 October) to give us good indication about chances to get placements.
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

I was led to believe that there were 3 sittings for each exam. When dc did them, there was a sitting from 9am , then the middle sitting around 10-10.30, then another one at around midday. Dc was in the middle setting, and about 10 minutes before they had finished, the hall filled up again with parents for the last session. I think the year that dc took the test, the number taking the test was over 350.

I would think it would be quite hard to guess how many children actually sat the tests, because of the three different sessions.

I would think that one session would be for children around Louth/ and beyond i.e.Market Rasen areas, one possible for children in areas from Louth to Grimsby, and maybe one session for children out of catchment. Just a guess, I might be right off track with this though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now