How come some people know their child's score?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
el1983

How come some people know their child's score?

Post by el1983 »

Hi,
I was just wondering how some people know their child's score? My daughter passed the 11+ but we weren't given her score. I'm just curious.

Thank you
Lisa x
HamptonDad

Re: How come some people know their child's score?

Post by HamptonDad »

My DS took the exams at Bourne and we weren't told the score either, only that he had achieved the qualifying score. We were considering Kings in Grantham so I emailed Bourne this morning and they replied with the score in less than 10mins. I suppose if you don't need the score for the application then the school wouldn't share unless you ask.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

For admission to some schools, score has an impact, others it doesn't and a pass is a pass. If the scores areen't releasesd automatically, schools normally will if you request the information.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

In some area you only get to know the score if you don't make the passmark - gives people an idea of whether appealing would be worth it. When it comes to going to school - sometimes better if all the kids are just considered to have "passed" rather than being aware of how well they did or if they just scraped in
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Since this is Lincs, I think fir at least one school if you are in catchment you may get told that you have meet the standard without getting a score, but if ooc you get a score
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

We are OOC and we did not receive a score for Lincs.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

QEHSG release scores regardless of whether you are in or out of catchment, if you are out of catchment you are ranked per your score, so it is pretty important. It really depends on the school in Lincs, some do, some don't.
JRM

Post by JRM »

If you sit the test at QEHS Gainsborough you get the score for each paper on the back of the letter. I believe his was introduced in 2012.

If you sit the test at QEGS Horncastle then the offer letter just says you have met the requried standard, but I believe you current head teacher gets the score.

So even though they all sit exactly the same consortium test, the procedures are different.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
aicthie

Post by aicthie »

For Kings Grantham you get a letter from the school with the score for both NVR and VR so you know when you choose a school how close you are to the 220 pass mark. for KGGS Grantham they just say pass or fail but they are usually guaranteed a place if living in catchment, unlike Kings.
AdamV

Post by AdamV »

aicthie wrote:For Kings Grantham you get a letter from the school with the score for both NVR and VR so you know when you choose a school how close you are to the 220 pass mark. for KGGS Grantham they just say pass or fail but they are usually guaranteed a place if living in catchment, unlike Kings.
The point is that the two schools have totally different acceptance criteria.
Kings entrance is based on exam scores in ranked order, not on a nominal "pass" mark. Places are awarded to those who achieved the higest scores, up to the PAN. They have no "catchment" area as distance is not included in their criteria at all.
KGGS is based on the principal that you get a passing score to be considered, and then places are allocated based purely on distance. I can't remember if they even have a sibling rule. They don't really have a "catchment" in the sense that there is no hard boundary. The last place will go to the PAN-th child living nearer than all others. The distance that last child is from the school will vary from year to year. So next door neighbours in different year groups could be lucky / unlucky purely depending on how many other girls live nearer than they do, in their cohort.
(in both cases there are priority groups as always such as looked after children).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now