Kings School Grantham

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tv173

Kings School Grantham

Post by tv173 »

Hi, I'm interested to learn about views and experiences of the Kings School Grantham. My DD is at KGGS ( and is very happy to be there ) however I'm trying to gather as much information as I can about the boys school before making choices.
DS scored 238 in the 11+ and I have been told by Kings that given previous years results he's likely to be offered a place in the 2019 intake. Researching this site I see that the highest first offer cut off was in 2012 at 232 . Does anyone have views or knowledge about the admissions figures for more recent years as I was told that Kings expect a similar cohort to 2016/17.
littlebopeep

Re: Kings School Grantham

Post by littlebopeep »

Hi there. Congratulations to your son. I have a son in year 9 at Kings and also a daughter at KGGS. We are really happy with both school although they are very different. In our opinion, there is a lot more pastoral care at KGGS, whereas Kings encourages the boys to sort themselves out and get on with it. This suits out children well. You can be either sporty or geeky or whatever at Kings - you will find like minded children. Our son has a great group of friends, but all the boys seem to get along (the odd fight that soon blows over, but never heard any major problems.) At parent's evening you can see the teachers have a nice raport with my son and he likes them. Both my children are proud of their schools and would definitely recommend both. I believe from friends who's sons started this year, the cut off mark was 229. Not sure if there were a large number sitting this year as to whether the cut of will be similar but sure you son should be fine.
tv173

Post by tv173 »

Thank you for your reply. Having visited Kings it's difficult to envisage my 11 year old DS anywhere other than his current village school !. Although he loves to participate he isn't in the least sporty however he is very gregarious and likes to try most things. I was particularly impressed by the music department and the passion displayed by the staff I met.
littlebopeep

Post by littlebopeep »

I know what you mean. There seem to be masses of huge boys everywhere but they seem to cope fine. My son was at a little village school too but settled really quickly. Only year 7s are allowed in the Headmaster's garden and my son spent most break times there at first and soon made a lot of friends (and he was quite a quiet boy). My son also isn't at all sporty and we worried about that but it really doesn't matter - plenty of them aren't. The music at Kings is amazing. Really you only hear negative things about the school from people who's children don't go there and just have assumptions.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now