Best Books?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ronnie

Best Books?

Post by Ronnie »

Hi
What are the most compatable books to buy for the Lincs eleven plus - we are currently going through the Bond books and doing some of their quick mixed ten minute tests.
we have got the 4 NFER tests in NVR and VR which I tested her on very early on in the year, which i now realise was far too early so I going to get her to sit them all again throughout August.
Have NFER got any revision books and if not which books are the best to go for as I look at some and the verbal reasoning questions just seem to be so different.
Another question if someone can help me with it - when we attend the local girls grammar school we were told that the format of the practice papers that they get in early September in their primary school would be exactly the same as the real test later on that month - when I questioned the teacher further as to whether this meant that the question type on the verbal reasoning paper would be the same as the practice she agreed - am I correct in this - will my daughter know the question type in the real test from the practice test?!
Sorry this is long and confusing :roll:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Ronnie,

Sorry, this is a terribly late reply andI hope you found most of the answers from old posts. The following recommendations are copied from old threads:

For Verbal Reasoning the following are good though not exhaustive of all the question types:

-Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks Test Papers

- AFN - Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers - in 2 books - !-4& 5-8 - a little easier than the real thing but 100 questions in 50 mins like the real one

- IPS - "Verbal Reasoning Method and Technique" - very useful "how-to" book
-IPS - "Verbal Reasoning Additional Practice Questions" - good for practising particular types of question

- IPS - "Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers" - these are 30 minute papers (50 questions) good for shorter practice sessions

- The Tutors - Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers 1-12 - downloads from this site

-NFER - Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers (standard version) - but be aware that there are only 85 questions to do in 50 mins whereas the real thing has 100 in 50 mins and not all the question types are covered.

NVR:
-Bond "How to do Non-Verbal Reasoning" - an easy introduction to method

-AFN "Non-Verbal reasoning Practice Tests A,B,C&D" - perhaps a bit easier than NFER but follow the correct format though giving more time. Multiple choice, but we just ignore the answer sheet and circle answers on the paper.

-Eleven Plus Exams "Non-Verbal Reasoning Practice Tests 1,2&3" - download papers from this site - again follow the format but are multiple choice and give more time.

the two AE workbooks on non-verbal reasoning

These are the only papers I have found to exactly mirror the types of question without adding in a lot of "irrelevant" types.

For the NVR test there are 5 types of question in the published NfER papers and the practice tests seem to give all 5, but the format of the real tests in the past two years has been slightly different with only 4 types being given but with more questions in each of the sections - see the "sticky" at the top of the page.

For the VR the Lincolnshire exam uses a selection of the 21 types of question identified by IPS plus a couple of others which can be found in the Susan Daughtrey books. These may not be exactly the same ones as come up in the practice tests given in July (which are repeated year on year).

However, anectotally, both of my children had the little 3x3 crossword type question in their practice and real tests; both had mixed number and letter codes in the practice but NOT in the real thing. As far as I can ascertain, some of the question types were different from in the two real tests (but one took the 11 plus when it was 2 VR tests and one when it was one VR and one NVR).
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Hi - thanks for your reply - my daughter has still to do her practice papers at school and will be doing them when she returns in September - so not much time there then!! We have done 2 of the 4 NFER practice papers and she has scored 84% and 88% but am a little concerned that somthing will come up and confuse her. They did come home in the summer with a sheet of 22 question types that they had briefly looked over at school and we keep having a look at these to make sure she is ok with them all but they do not contain the mixed number and letter codes.

We are now going to have a week of concentrating on NVR to see if we can get her scores up before she returns to school so any tips would be welcome from anyone.

Many thanks x :lol:
Alex

Post by Alex »

Good Luck! We found the AE tuition books good for building up the accuracy - but I am not very good at the NVR myself and so find it hard to help when the girls get things wrong! We are still struggling with timing on both VR and NVR.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now