Marking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
angelz

Marking

Post by angelz »

Does anyone know more about the process of marking the papers?

On the schools open evening, whilst talking us through arrangements for the days of the tests, we were asked to make sure we left the school promptly after the exam had been taken, as the staff would have a long day ahead marking the papers.

The results are also posted out from the school, does this mean everything is done 'in house' ? and if so why 4 weeks for the results.

Do I sound a little impatient? :? mabey I'm cracking up :shock:

Andrew I think you can identify, am I right :D

angelz

Post by Guest »

Hi Angelz,

This is not official - just what my daughter observed in school! One of the staff was marking the VR tests. Apparently within the school each test paper is marked by two different people. If there is any discrepancy then it is marked twice over again by different people. Once the papers are all marked they go off to NFER for standardisation along with the test papers from the whole of the County. (Actually I am not sure whether it is the actual papers which go off or just the score and age details). Then the standardized scores are returned to the schools. I think it is the standardisation process which takes the time.

Thank you for your reply about what information will be available. Kings is a possible choice for us if he passes but obviously dependent on number of out of area places available and his score! Ufortunately it was impossible for us to make the open evening last term. Carre's in Sleaford is a bit nearer but they have 3 different areas - the eligible for school transport area, then 12 mile radius, then beyond and we are at the bottom of the list! Also there has been a huge amount of building in the area and all the Sleaford schools are terribly oversubscribed. It is not going to be easy trying to decide what to apply for.

Best wishes,

Sara
SJ

Post by SJ »

What school do you refer to? I have some recollection of the something similar being said and to be honest the next 4 weeks are going to be unbearable. I think by 14.10.06 I will be an absolute gibbering wreck. Not that I am desperate for him to go to a grammar school, just that I want to be able to say "See I told you he was good enough" He has had no encouragement from anyone(school or family) except me and has always been told/bullied by others (some of whom sat the 11+ at the same time), since Yr1, that he was thick, stupid etc etc and that he was not as good as them. Despite him always being in the same top groups as them throughout the school since reception class.

Post by Guest »

Hi SJ,

I am so sorry to hear about how your son has been bullied. It makes me realise that we have been very lucky. My oldest daughter has asperger's syndrome and although she is extremely bright she had times at primary school when she was very difficult indeed and also very unhappy and stressed. She is also at times recognisably "different" and yet she was never bullied and any teasing or winding-up by other children was always very promptly dealt with. She had lovely friends who recognised that she had special needs. She is now at Grammar school (we did not feel she would cope in a large mixed comp) and they have been incredibly welcoming and put a huge amount of effort into meeting her needs. She is very happy and well settled.

Do visit all the schools - if possible see them as well on a normal working day so you get a feel for the atmosphere. Do ask questions about how they tackle issues such as bullying. You know your son best and will be able to get some idea about whether the school will nurture and encourage him and help him build confidence. I do hope you find the right place for your son, wherever that may be.

Sara
SJ

Post by SJ »

Thanks for your support Sara. My sons best friend has Aspergers Syndrome and there is a small question mark as to whether my son has certain traits also, but no-one wants to actually tell me what I need to do to get this checked out. The headmaster just said that if he was it wouldn't change anything they did in school anyway and I really don't know what I need to do to get this checked out.

He was very protective & supportive of his friend and invaraibly got physically bullied when he was trying to "protect" his friend when he knew he was not coping with the taunts etc and was about to "loose" it as he put it.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Once again the shared knowledge and experience on this site is really helping me !

At present I am focused on eldest son and 11+ in November, but already my mind is turning to second son in Year 2 and making good progress from a difficult start that included a diagnosis of able ASD ( autistic spectrum disorder ). His teacher feels his differences are Asperger like.

SJ the issue of deciding to have an assessment with a view to a diagnosis is complicated and emotional , good information is available from British Autistic Society and other Asperger specific sites.

Once again my mind turns to the thought that what I want is not the best school in the area, but the right school for each child based on their individual needs.

stevew61
SJ

Post by SJ »

stevew61 wrote:SJ the issue of deciding to have an assessment with a view to a diagnosis is complicated and emotional , good information is available from British Autistic Society and other Asperger specific sites.

Once again my mind turns to the thought that what I want is not the best school in the area, but the right school for each child based on their individual needs.

stevew61
Thanks for this I will have a look at their website and go from there

Post by Guest »

[I have some recollection of the something similar being said and to be honest the next 4 weeks are going to be unbearable. I think by 14.10.06 I will be an absolute gibbering wreck. ]

In Warwickshire our children are taking the exam next week and we have to wait until March for the results - 6 MONTHS!! At least your wait will be over in a relatively short amount of time!

Good Luck to all.
angelz

unbearable

Post by angelz »

Warwickshire Guest,

I feel ashamed to be getting impatient over 3 weeks when you have such an unbearably long time to wait.

I know as well, that it is us (the parents) that find it so frustrating, when the children involved (you know, the ones who actually took the exam, who's future is being decided :shock: ) are merrily getting on with things, oblivious to the stress and anxiety being carefully hidden from them!

I hope all goes well for your child next week and a least we have tis forum to keep us all sane, or tip us over the edge, which ever way you look at it. :D

angelz