Regarding Rochester Grammar Catchment and Eligibility

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ajrk76

Regarding Rochester Grammar Catchment and Eligibility

Post by ajrk76 »

Hello,

My daughter achieved 519 score in Medway test. I am just wondering if there is any possibility that she can be offered a place in Rochester Grammar School. We don't live in Medway. Is there any catchment criteria for this school? I have gone through their admission policy but its not entirely clear that kids are offered place based on their geographical location.

Many thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Re: Regarding Rochester Grammar Catchment and Eligibility

Post by ToadMum »

ajrk76 wrote:Hello,

My daughter achieved 519 score in Medway test. I am just wondering if there is any possibility that she can be offered a place in Rochester Grammar School. We don't live in Medway. Is there any catchment criteria for this school? I have gone through their admission policy but its not entirely clear that kids are offered place based on their geographical location.

Many thanks in advance.
https://www.rochestergrammar.org.uk/pro ... trgs-218-4

If your DD is not a Looked After Child, has no sibling at the school, doesn't attend a primary school in the same Academy Trust, have exceptional medical need making it imperative that she attends the school, or is the child of a member of staff, then she would presumably be in category 6? No mention of an actual catchment area, just distance being a tie-break for equal scores. But numbers-wise, presumably there are girl's attending local primary schools in the area which are not in the same MAT and who are not siblings, or the DD of teachers, or have exceptional medical needs, so all -'really OOC' applicants would also be competing with them.

6th         
In rank order based on the scores achieved in the tests. In the event that two pupils have equal ranking for the last place, priority will be given to the pupil whose permanent address is the nearest to The Rochester Grammar School, as measured by using Medway Council’s Geographical Information System

[If the school reaches PAN and becomes oversubscribed within this point in the priorities for allocation, places will be allocated on the basis of rank order according to the score achieved in the Medway Test]

The school's website does direct one to the LA's publication for more detailed information, though.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kate82x

Post by Kate82x »

It’s on score rather than catchment, unless the above circumstances happen.

Last years cut off was 522 and the Medway pass rate was a few points higher but obviously the pass rate fluctuates slightly depending on the scores of the girls that apply.

There’s definitely a chance you could just about make the cut off.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

So basically, if Rochester is the school that you most want your DD to attend, put it as first preference on your CAF (but by the sound of things, be prepared to find her on the waiting list on March 1st, at least initially).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx