Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nikki2403

Checking in and needing advice please

Post by nikki2403 »

Hi all,

Just thought i`d give an update.

I made my first post a few months ago and I was crying :) thinking what on earth have I got myself into.

Thanks to the fantastic advice I received on here, I changed my approach and worked on understanding rather than the 10min testing.

I am happy to report, my DS is doing well and I have learnt, when he understands, the speed naturally follows, so i am not worried about speed for now. However just to give an example (i hope to encourage someone else who is doing this for the 1st time) my DS would complete the 10 test in about 40 mins. Now he finishes around the 6-8min mark and that without my setting the timer in front of him. I do time it for my own knowledge but he doesn't know this. He is consistently scoring between 7-9 out of 10 which I think is good.

Last Saturday, I gave him 50 math questions i complied myself (this was made up of all the things he learnt in the last 3 months) and he got 42/50

This has been such an emotional journey for me and him but we are finding our feet and i am not shouting as much (hardly) or loosing my temper.:) We are both calmer.

So my question, I find the scoring very complicated to understand. Can someone please explain to me in lay man terms (or direct me to the right forum if this has been asked before) what is a good score. e.g if he is scoring 7-9/10 thats a good place to be or 40/50 not so good and so on.

Thanks for reading.
Nicole
Sparklecat

Re: Checking in and needing advice please

Post by Sparklecat »

First off, well done. We all learn this stuff the hard way. Secondly, his scores are great at his point. If he was getting any higher, there would not be much point in what you're doing. In the end we reached a plateau with no more gains to be made, at which point you're just gently maintaining skills and speed. Know when to ease off. Whether current scores are enough will also depend on whether he needs a straight pass or higher mark for a particular school. But what I'm really trying to say in a rambling kind of way is, there is no hard and fast answer. If you do all that work and he doesn't pass, it really wasn't meant to be. But it sounds like his prospects are pretty good.
nikki2403

Re: Checking in and needing advice please

Post by nikki2403 »

Sparklecat wrote:First off, well done. We all learn this stuff the hard way. Secondly, his scores are great at his point. If he was getting any higher, there would not be much point in what you're doing. In the end we reached a plateau with no more gains to be made, at which point you're just gently maintaining skills and speed. Know when to ease off. Whether current scores are enough will also depend on whether he needs a straight pass or higher mark for a particular school. But what I'm really trying to say in a rambling kind of way is, there is no hard and fast answer. If you do all that work and he doesn't pass, it really wasn't meant to be. But it sounds like his prospects are pretty good.
thank you Sparklecat
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now