Thomas Aveling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

paulap

Thomas Aveling

Post by paulap »

Did anybody else go last night? What did you think of it? My twins both said it certainly wouldn't be their first choice but it wasn't terrible. Now have every available digit crossed that they both manage to pass :shock:
lacey

Post by lacey »

i loved that school but my daughter wasn't interested in it.
emmajane1

Thomas Aveling GCSE options

Post by emmajane1 »

I think it is a good school & was relatively happy for my dd to go there if she didn't pass. But exploring their website yesterday and reading about their GCSE options has made me feel that it is less suited for my daughter than I had hoped.

Dd isn't very talented at artistic subjects and at T Ave technology is compulsory at GCSE as is a vocational course. Children do the core subjects maths,eng science then choose 1 vocational & 1 technology option - there are wide choices for both. They then choose only 2 standard GCSE subjects and cannot therefore do 2 humanities & a language or 2 languages & history/geography. My dd loves languages & humanities

They do get very good results, as these vocational subjects are very motivating for many pupils and some apparently count as 3, 4 or even 6 GCSE passes - certainly our year 10 guide said health & social care was her favourite subject.But I feel strongly that my daughter's talents lie elsewhere.

Having found this info via the school website my stress levels hoping my dd will pass have gone thru the roof! She is much better at traditional academic subjects & I'm not sure where to look for a broad range of traditional subjects if she isn't successful in her 11+.

Before finding this out I thought Thomas Aveling was the best choice & I'm not sure there is a better option for a Rochester child who isn't selective. The discipline & motivation at the school are good which is sooo important.
paulap

Re: Thomas Aveling GCSE options

Post by paulap »

emmajane1 wrote:I'm not sure there is a better option for a Rochester child who isn't selective.
This is why I'm worried. I'm not sure either of my twins (both are very shy) would survive in a school like TA but if they both fail to pass I cannot see we have any other option.
superMonkey

Post by superMonkey »

Thomas Aveling is a very good school - so good in fact that unless you live on the doorstep you won't get in!

My nephew lives in Borstal and didn't get a place on account of distance.

Good luck to you all