Whose getting the top marks?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reddebs

Whose getting the top marks?

Post by reddebs »

I have been following a thread on the Kent forum with regard to raw scores but thought it was also worth bringing my thoughts into the Medway forum to see if anyone has an opinion:

I have a number of children I tutor that sat the Kent test and then sat the Medway test.
A few of them acheived top marks in Maths and Verbal Reasoning in Kent but did not get anywhere near the same marks again in the Medway Test.

Initially I did not think too much into this as all that were successful in Kent were successful in Medway so no big issue. But the more I thought the more it bothers me as perhaps there are more underlying reasons than performance on the day.

My initial thoughts the Maths was easier in Kent than Medway
Same for Verbal Reasoning (although both are meant to be from the 21 types)
But I am not sure that this truly explains the difference.

I had heard that there was a large number of OOC applicants for Medway - could they have attained the higher marks I wonder?
If so then assuming not all of them take places in Medway grammar schools (their reasons for sitting the Medway test are not always to gain a place in a Medway school) then there is likely to be a number of empty places this year (this happened last year too) So maybe those that missed the passmark in Medway and may not be currently considering an appeal need to rethink.

Sorry I know I am rambling but these thoughts have been rattling around my head for a week or so.
Any views? Also if he who must not be named reads this I would appreciate his views.
Regards

Post by Headache »

Not sure if any of this is useful, but here goes .... my son goes to a school which comes under kent but the Medway Grammar Schools are closer. Also, from where we live, we get free and direct transport to the Medway Schools but not the Kent Schools. So. most of the kids willl want to go to a Medway School. About 50 children took the medway test at his school and a slightly less amount took the kent test. Some of them took the kent test as 'back up'! This may explain the amount of OCC kids in both categories.

With regard to the tests, my son said the Kent Test was much easier than the Medway. His best subject is Maths, he scored 138 in the Kent Maths and 128 in the Medway Maths. Hope this this helpful.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now