RMGS or Chatham Grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Taos

RMGS or Chatham Grammer

Post by Taos »

My son passed his 11+ with a score of 532, he is the youngest in the year at his school (29th August) and hasn't got alot of confidence in his academic abilities. We went to see Chatham Grammer and he loved it, but he loves English, drama & science and i heard RMGS specializes in this field, but i have also been told that it is a far pushier school than all the rest and they have loads more homework than the others too. My son would not be able to cope with loads each day and to be quite honest, i don't know what to do, is there anyone out there who has been in the same boat or at least someone that can give me sound advice so that i'm not worrying constantly about sending him to the right school. Taos :(
Taos
nearlydone

Post by nearlydone »

I have a son at RMGS and I would have to say that the homework is not excessive. They have a homework diary over a two week period so you know what homework you may have. They recommend you spend 20 mins on each piece. It is very rare for my son to have more than two pieces each night and in fact a lot of the time doesn't have homework. This may be because he doesn't write it in his planner (!) or just how it is. My son is quite lazy however he has improved in all his subjects over the past year I would say without it being too 'pushy'. I was concerned that my son, due to other issues, would not cope with the pressure from the Maths school which is one of the reasons I chose RMGS. They have great pastoral care. It really is a case of visiting the schools and getting a feel more them. My son liked RMGS the best and I can only say that I have had a very positive experience with them to the extent that I am going to (hopefully) send my second son there next year. Good luck. It really is a difficult decision but you and your son will know what's best once you've had the chance to look at all the schools. Book a daytime visit next week to see the school in the working day as we found this really helpful.