Non qualification review

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mumgonemad

Non qualification review

Post by mumgonemad »

Hi
I'm new to this forum - only stumbled across it the other day. I'm a little confused as to the review process (please bear with me!!) My DS (?) missed out on passing the Medway test by 1 mark. We asked for a review. The basis was that he only missed by 1 mark, his grades at the end of year 5 were 4a for maths & 3a for English, but the school said they had work to show that his English was also consistently above average. They also had maths & science work to back up our review.
My main concern was that his English wouldn't be good enough, but the panel found that his English & Science were good, but his maths "showed lack of pace and development of higher princples"
I am a little confused because his grades and maths work (according to his headteacher) show that he consitently works above average levels and his highest mark on the 11+ test was also maths.
At the risk of sounding bitter and twisted (which I'm not - just frustrated, I think) has anyone else found inconsitencies in the panel's findings? Also, does anyone think this is a basis for further appeal, bearing in mind that I now have to prove the review was not carried out in a "fair, consistent & objective" way?
Sorry for rambling on, but appreciate anyone's comments. :?
tiredmum

review

Post by tiredmum »

i have sent you a pm - personal msg. I also know two others who i thought would get through on review this year but didnt, really sorry
honey1

Post by honey1 »

Hi, am also new to this site, just stumbled across it. Can totally sympathise with you and relate to what you are saying as same has happened to me. DD missed by 3, (unexpected as school predicted she would do really well) school totally supported review, level 5 english, 4a maths, Review panel found maths work to show 'some inconsistencies'. totally frustrated and dd devastated as shes always done so well at school working at above average levels. School say shes definitely grammar but review panel havent agreed! Gutted because from what ive read ive damaged my case for appeal by going for review and being unsuccessful! Really worried now and more than anything feel so sorry for my dd!
Hellybeds

Review

Post by Hellybeds »

Good morning, I to am new to this site and I am posting for the very first time.

I received the Review panel results for my daughter yesterday also, and I have to say that am a little shocked as well.

My daughter has acheived excellent marks throughout her time at primary school and is a secure 5B in literacy. Also when I spoke the the HT with regard the appeal, they informed me that although she was expected and unlucky not to pass, she did in fact score the highest score out of the cohort in who took the test within the school. She scored 130.

The panel states that she has a weakness in composition and spelling! Well, that has never been drawn to our attention before and regularly achieves full marks in her spelling tests.

Is it a case of higher standards for the Review panel or dumbing down of the SATS? This somewhat concerns me, as I have been to every parents evening, and not once has any of these weaknesses been brought to my attention.
*** CONFUSED !!! ***

Post by *** CONFUSED !!! *** »

Hi Hellybeds:

Sorry, may be going off at a slight tangent here, but, just curious by something you said : your DC is a secure 5B in literacy ...... is your DC at private school?

Reason I ask is my DC received 5's in his Year 5 SATs results, and I asked about the banding at his school and they informed me that if children score a 5, then they don't get banded, whilst at primary school (hope that makes sense). But, if they receive a 4, then they DO get banded. So, I am just wondering how you were lucky enough to find out your child's B band.

Wishing you success with everything x
Knowledge is power

mitasol

Post by mitasol »

honey1 wrote: Also, does anyone think this is a basis for further appeal, bearing in mind that I now have to prove the review was not carried out in a "fair, consistent & objective" way?
The first thing to do, is to discover if they actually intend to uphold the review was fair consistent and objective. If they don't you can appeal as usual.
Hellybeds

Post by Hellybeds »

Hi Confused,

No we are just at a bog standard primary school. We had a recent parents evening and that's what I was told, so you can see why I am a little confused by the comments.

I am not one of these mothers who cannot bear to not hear anything negative about my child either, in my book, if I felt for one moment that she couldn't cope or was no worthy of a Grammar school place, I would admit it.

Out of all of her subjects, it is the Numeracy that she lacks confidence in, so if they had stated that, fair play, but literacy, I'm bemused!

It's almost like they had to put something negative to quantify not give her a place.

I am not sure now where I stand as far as Appeal goes, or if I should just let sleeping dogs lie!
mumgonemad

Post by mumgonemad »

mitasol wrote:
The first thing to do, is to discover if they actually intend to uphold the review was fair consistent and objective. If they don't you can appeal as usual.

Thanks mitasol - who are "they"? Do you mean the grammar schools that I'm considering applying for?
mumgonemad

Post by mumgonemad »

Hi Honey1 & Helibeds
Just a thought, at the bottom of the form that the review panel completed, under the level 1 - 5, is a section "Panel (please circle)". Number 4 is circled on mine - does anyone know if this means there were 7 panels in total to look at the reviews, and this was Panel number 4? If so, have yours been looked at by the same panel?

Like I said... just a thought.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

mumgonemad wrote:who are "they"? Do you mean the grammar schools that I'm considering applying for?
It will be the admission authority. In some cases that will be the school and others it will be the LEA. I'm not familiar with the different Medway GS.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now