Stressing already about NEXT years Fort Pitt admissions :(

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

well i think the problem is that the council use their measuring system, and that isnt always the way we would measure the distance - i looked on google an the distance was just under 4 miles but the geo measuring system may measure it differantly. :) also with what you are saying my friends dd was probably just on the cut off distance, then they may use scores i think :?:
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I emailed Fort Pitt and asked them, and they replied that the furthest offer of a place was just over 4 miles away; we're 7.2 miles away! :(

I wonder if they might consider upping their intake again next year? :(

I would imagine DD1 would get offered Rochester Grammar on score (I think she will do well) but then DD2 would not make that grade - and I kinda wanted them to be together :(
medwaymix

Post by medwaymix »

Am also preparing for next year and avidly reading all the posts which has been very helpful if rather daunting. Like rubyhettybetty I have been investigating the current situation and there is only one girls' grammar still with places this year apparently. If this were to happen next year and you didn't get Fort Pitt or Rochester am assuming you would be given the other one as long as it is on the form. Is that right?

Am interested to see that if you don't get Fort Pitt you will get Rochester on score - how does that work?

Sorry to seem a bit dim here.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

If you put on your form - for example -
Fort Pitt first
Rochester Second
Chatham girls third

Admissions will first try and get you into fort pitt. They look at the distance, so after kids in care etc they have places allocated by distance. Nearest first. So if 120 were nearer than you then they would look at Rochester grammar. Rochester look at scores. Once they have allocated their 165 places they stop. If your dd was not in the top 165 scores of those who applied your application would then go to chatham girls. Hope that helps :)
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

medwaymix wrote: Am interested to see that if you don't get Fort Pitt you will get Rochester on score - how does that work?
No thats not how it works. Tiredmum has it correct. When you submit your CAF form, the LEA looks at each school preference and whether you conform to that particular school's oversubscribtion criteria. You would not get Rochester in this instance unless you (as Tiredmum stated) was in the top 165 (scores) that applied to Rochester.

Caution to everybody with children in year 5. When you receive your Secondary Admission booklet - read it front to back, back to front and over and over again until you are sure you understand it. It is more difficult to change/correct things at a later stage.
medwaymix

Post by medwaymix »

Thank you tm and mm. To summarise and to check for myself - if we put Fort Pitt as our first choice but don't get in on distance - and if we have a very high score we will get Rochester regardless of distance?

Having been to the Open Evenings and some of the Open Days we do want Fort Pitt, but we also liked Rochester so - as long as DD does the stuff - we could get one of the two.

At least in Medway it seems that if you are assessed grammar you will get a grammar school which does not appear to be the case for some poor parents currently in Kent from what I read on their forum.

Thanks also for the advice about the admissions book, I shall certainly read it thoroughly with a view to appearing on Mastermind with it as my special subject :lol:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Yes if your dd is a high scorer then if Fort pitt could not give you a place on distance and you had Rochester second then your daughter should be allocated there if she is in the top 165 scores. The cut off score for Rochester obviosuly changes each year :)
medwaymix

Post by medwaymix »

Many thanks tiredmum. I have no doubt I will have many other questions as the year goes by, but that is very helpful and confirms our intial thinking here.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

You are in exactly the same position as me then MedwayMix - yep, the admissions criteria are different for Fort Pitt & Rochester Grammar - Fort Pitt is distance after the usual looked after/ siblings, whereas Rochester Grammar is score - so i would put down
1 Fort Pitt
2 Rochester Grammar
3 Chatham Grammar

but expect to be offered Rochester Grammar...hoping that DD does well in the test. Obviously this is super (if it comes off!!) but DD2 is not as academic so doubt she will make the grade for Rochester Grammar :( then DD3 comes along as well!!! Aaargh, going through this 3 times in 4 yrs :(

As a matter of interest, there are very few girls in Year 5 at our school, anyone else got this ?
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

rubyhettybetty wrote:
but expect to be offered Rochester Grammar...hoping that DD does well in the test. Obviously this is super (if it comes off!!) but DD2 is not as academic so doubt she will make the grade for Rochester Grammar
There really is not much difference between a "basic" Medway pass and an RGS pass. So if you doubt DD2 could make the grade for RGS you should maybe consider whether she would pass11+ assessment test. Conversely if you feel she could get a "basic" pass, not much more is required for RGS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now