Travelling from Sheppey areas to RMGS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Frustratedmum

Travelling from Sheppey areas to RMGS?

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi all,
We were told at the RMGS open day that at least one other child was going to be travelling from one of the Island's train stations. I was just wondering if there happened to be anybody on this site at all whose children do this journey already or are going to be doing so from September? We had one trial run the other week which did not go well as we couldn't find the quickest route to the school & ended up walking way too far!! :oops:
So was hoping for some advice from pro's :lol:
Many thanks
reddebs

Re: Travelling from Sheppey areas to RMGS?

Post by reddebs »

My suggestion if you cannot find a train travelling companion is to contact the school to see if they can buddy your child up with someone walking in from the rainham area (assume this is your station and not gillingham as it is a better walk) they could then meet at the train station and walk together.
Failing that what about taking a bike on the train? It would make the journey from the station to school quicker.
red_debs
PumpLaneDad

Post by PumpLaneDad »

The quickest route walking (or cycling) from Rainham Station to Pump Lane (RMGS) would be as follows :

At Rainham Station, go out into the Large Station Car-park at the rear of the Station
Follow the Car Park round to the Exit
Turn Right at the Exit and follow Tufton Road all the way to the end.
At the end of Tufton Road turn left onto Berengrave Lane
Take the First Right you come to off of Berengrave Lane which is Holmoaks
Follow Holmoaks and take the third Left which is The Willows
Walk to the very end of The Willows and you will see an alley between two houses - go down this alley (don't worry it is safe)
You will come out into Pembury Way - follow Pembury Way around to the left and you come out onto Beechings Way
Turn right onto Beechings Way and continue until you come to Pump Lane on the Left (there a mini-roundabout at the junction)
Go up Pump Lane and the School is on the Left.

Walking will take around 20-30 Minutes

I hope this helps.

EDIT : I should say I used to do this Journey twice Every Day on my Bike - it took about 10 Minutes
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

Hi reddebs, thanks for the advice will definitely be doing those things!!

Pumplanedad you're a star :lol:, so just for a laugh I'll tell you our journey (stupidly following the advice from 4 different strangers from station to school :oops: never again :lol: ). So we left the station and turned LEFT walked the whole way around the station building completely unaware that you could walk through the car park until we reached the car park exit on the other side!! Then we got to the end of Tufton Road and as per advice we turned RIGHT!! At which point we found a plant nursery and asked for more advice in there, we were told we were going in wrong direction and must head back up the road to the road one past Holmoak as per advice, to find it was an enclosed cul-de-sac, there a guy said the only way was to walk up to the main road and then down Bloors Lane. We got to the top of that road and asked in the shop there, the shopkeeper said yes definitely down this road because I see all the children walking down this road for that school, at last I thought on the home straight, NO, apparently all the children who walk down this road cut through the primary school as agreed by RMGS but being that it was later in the day, the primary school gates were locked!! So we had to walk all they way round to the roundabout & finally up Pump Lane to the school, total walking time..................................1hr & 15mins!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Your advice is much appreciated, thanks once again!! Hopefully the next trial run won't be as traumatic :oops:
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

What a disaster! You must have been so stressed by the time you finally got there.
As a mum who has tried the public bus, the school coach and now the train all I can say is that it does sort itself out it just takes trial and patience!
red_debs