Todays English test 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tiredmum

Re: Todays English test 2010

Post by tiredmum »

so if he scored similar on his english he may have passed being that we had a relatively low pass mark this year.

I think the best thing you can do is speak to the head about a review but the work will need to be really strong and clearly level 5 in english and maths. If the primary do CATS or NFER papers at the end of year 5 then these can be used if they show he is at a grammar level.

Last year a few of dd's friends went for review - the one who was sucessful had lots of level 5 written and maths work submitted. GenerallyhHe was the top scoring boy in the class so we expected him to get through. Another child who didnt scored very low on one paper and well on the other two. The panel felt his written work was not of a high enough standard.

2% of medway children get through on review.

Let me know how it goes with the head.
confused_parent

Post by confused_parent »

tiredmum wrote:so if he scored similar on his english he may have passed being that we had a relatively low pass mark this year.

I think the best thing you can do is speak to the head about a review but the work will need to be really strong and clearly level 5 in english and maths. If the primary do CATS or NFER papers at the end of year 5 then these can be used if they show he is at a grammar level.

Last year a few of dd's friends went for review - the one who was sucessful had lots of level 5 written and maths work submitted. GenerallyhHe was the top scoring boy in the class so we expected him to get through. Another child who didnt scored very low on one paper and well on the other two. The panel felt his written work was not of a high enough standard.

2% of medway children get through on review.

Let me know how it goes with the head.
It really is a lottery isn't it? I just don't know if trying is the right thing to do but if I don't I will always question if I should have. Unfortunately we don't have the best relationship with the head either.
Up until the point of the test everything indicated that he was suitable for grammar hence me floudering a little with this. His brother passed easily three years ago yet younger son has always been considered to be more academic/suitable.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

well the choice to pursue this on not may depend on your school options.
If there is a good secondary/comp option then maybe it is not worth the stress but if not then it is certainly worth a go.

My dd's head was known as "difficult" among the parents and didnt get on with many. However when it came down to reviews or appeals he backed the children all the way. Maybe yours is like this :)
confused_parent

tiredmum wrote:well the choice to pursue this on not may depend on your school options.
If there is a good secondary/comp option then maybe it is not worth the stress but if not then it is certainly worth a go.

My dd's head was known as "difficult" among the parents and didnt get on with many. However when it came down to reviews or appeals he backed the children all the way. Maybe yours is like this :)
This is the thing, it is the lack of choice of good proven comp schools. I have a realistic choice of two, Greenacre and Chatham South (Now Bishop of Roch Acad)

My son who is now 20 started at Greenacre and I pulled him out in year 8 (due to unruly children in his class, grades going down and down and suspected bullying) and home tutored him for two terms before a place was found at CS for him. He ended up with 4 GCSE's, but is now in good full time employment with prospects. He actually went into CS ahead of most of his classmates but was never an ideal student, never applied himself and wasn't encouraged to reach his full potential at school.

I also have a daughter with a Uni degree having attended RGS yet she can't a job, so I know schools etc don't count for everything.

CS has now merged with MCC and is a bit of an unknown. Without the merger I would not have been so concerned.

The other options are St John Fisher or St Simon Stock but that is right over in Maidstone. (We are not catholic but he attends a catholic primary)
Last edited by confused_parent on Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

confused_parent wrote:St Simon Stock but that is right over in Maidstone. (We are not catholic but he attends a catholic primary)
This is one of my favourite schools!

Did you say that another child of yours passed a few years ago?
confused_parent

tiredmum wrote:
confused_parent wrote:St Simon Stock but that is right over in Maidstone. (We are not catholic but he attends a catholic primary)
This is one of my favourite schools!

Did you say that another child of yours passed a few years ago?
I like the school but worry about cost of getting him there. Single parent, recently made redundant.

Yes my son has just entered year 9 at Chatham Grammar - passed easily with highest mark in his school, yet was always considered by school as the 'wildcard'. He is doing very well there. :)
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

well that is a plus for you. If for instance you went for review and was not sucessful then chatham boys often come to the decision that the review process is unfair and take those children whoes reviews didnt work out.

It would be better for you to have the boys together i would think.

I have sent you a private msg
confused_parent

tiredmum wrote:well that is a plus for you. If for instance you went for review and was not sucessful then chatham boys often come to the decision that the review process is unfair and take those children whoes reviews didnt work out.

It would be better for you to have the boys together i would think.

I have sent you a private msg
I have always wanted them together and it was never an unrealistic dream ie one child definitely grammar material and one not. It would make things a lot easier for us as a family as well as it being walking distance from home. They are very close and this has also upset the older one that is already there.

Thank you for the pm. Will take a proper look later. :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Confused mum, I am another dissapointed mum and my DD's scores were nothing close to what she go on in her practice. It was a rough day for us on the day she did the test but as you say anything can go wrong despite on the day despite all the good efforts.

My only advise is really have a good think if an HT review is the best thing because you wont get an appeal chance if your DC fails to go through review. Personally I would think an appeal which happens around April or thereabout would be much better. You will get enough time to support your appeal and also a bit more help from here. The evidence on HT reviews is also mainly based on academic evidence and they dont really consider any other evidence. I know an HT appears to be better because there isnt a lot of waiting but I think success rate is rather low so make sure you weigh your options well.
Impossible is Nothing.
confused_parent

Thank you for that advice.

I really need to spend the next few days reading up as much as possible on this as I am not even sure of the appeal process and how it all works.

Are you going to appeal for your child?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now