Todays English test 2010

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Todays English test 2010

Post by yoyo123 »

please do not discuss the actual content of the test, there are children who have yet to sit the exam
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Phew - my daughter also was a bot thrown and started to write one format then crossed it all out and started in a different format :(

She said maths was HARD - not that she couldn't get to the answers, but they took a long time to work out. And she's pretty good at maths :( I think she had to guess about 5 or 6 at the end.

VR she said she flew through and then went back over her answers and changed about 6!!!!

So we are by no means confident, I was up at 3am with morning with a stonking headache, but I think that was worrying about DD2 who is doing it next time! :-]
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

rubyhettybetty wrote: She said maths was HARD - not that she couldn't get to the answers, but they took a long time to work out. And she's pretty good at maths :( I think she had to guess about 5 or 6 at the end.

I was up at 3am with morning with a stonking headache, but I think that was worrying about DD2 who is doing it next time! :-]

Hi ruby
Medway maths is heavy on the problem solving so is usually considered hard. Just guessing 5 or 6 is more that fine! :)
dd1 did it a few years ago and only just got a bit over half way through the maths paper! i nearly had a heart attack when she told me :oops: But when the marks came out she had done okish on it, good on VR, which helped her gain a pass. Sounds like your dd. As the medway test adds all the marks together it means there is less to worry about if your dc has not performed great on just one paper.

hope your headache is easing :)
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

I reckon I will have a headache for at least the next two weeks :-]

I wonder if DD will have feedback from her school friends when I get home!!!

Thanks for the encouraging words, I really will be delighted if she makes it. I was really shocked by the number of kids at the test centre!!!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

rubyhettybetty wrote:I reckon I will have a headache for at least the next two weeks
To be more precise its next Friday. On one hand I really want to know, on the other I am scared to death. :cry:
Impossible is Nothing.
makaha

Post by makaha »

I have quietly followed this forum for the past 4 months since discovering this web page and have really found it helpful.
There was one item I would like to ask and that is about the late sitters, surely they would be given, completely different papers than those who sat the test on the 25th or am I wrong?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

no, they are given the same paper
HelenW

Post by HelenW »

They get the same paper for the Maths and VR but the English will be slightly different :)
I think it works on the basis that no child is going to be able to remember questions from the Maths or VR to help someone else... but they might be able to remember the English which might unfairly give an advantage to a late sitter of the test.

This was the case a few years ago when my DS sat the test - his best friend was unwell on the day and sat the test later - the English was definitely slightly altered.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

What you have to remember is that the results are standardised, and entrants are assessed against each other. The papers have to be the same, so that entrants can be compared on their results for the same test.
medway parent

Post by medway parent »

Just to let future entrants parents know

My son got zero points for English. He had decided to write about a topic which wasn't in the list (still cant work out why he did this)

Because of the way the Standardization scoring is done this still gave him-

70 plus 7 points for age, gave 77 points doubled to 154 total.

The good news for us being that he still passed the Medway test as he did very well in his Verbal and Maths.

My advice-

Please do remind the children to write about the topics required :)