moved

Re: Todays English test 2010

Post by moved »

Congratulations Medway Parent
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

medway parent wrote:Just to let future entrants parents know

My son got zero points for English. He had decided to write about a topic which wasn't in the list (still cant work out why he did this)

Because of the way the Standardization scoring is done this still gave him-

70 plus 7 points for age, gave 77 points doubled to 154 total.

The good news for us being that he still passed the Medway test quite comfortably as he did well in his Verbal and Maths.

My advice-

Please do remind the children to write about the topics required :)
I am so happy your ds passed anyway.
Last year my dd's friend did exactly the same as your son. He is a juneish birthday and was given the 70 points (which means 0 score) plus 3 marks - so 73 when doubled = 146 .

He didnt pass though :(

Well done to you and ds.
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

medway parent wrote:Just to let future entrants parents know

My son got zero points for English. He had decided to write about a topic which wasn't in the list (still cant work out why he did this)

Because of the way the Standardization scoring is done this still gave him-

70 plus 7 points for age, gave 77 points doubled to 154 total.

The good news for us being that he still passed the Medway test as he did very well in his Verbal and Maths.

My advice-

Please do remind the children to write about the topics required :)

Congratulations to him!
I did something similar on an English GCSE mock. I wrote a piece on each topic instead of reading the question properly and choosing only one. I did wonder why I was the only one with writers cramp and a rubbish mark!!
Benoit
Snow

Post by Snow »

According to my DS, the topic was the only one. It is the format that they could choose...
kingsgen

Post by kingsgen »

The beauty of medway exam is that your other subjects could help you to pass the exam unlike Kent. One of my pupils got 610 marks. 140/140 in VR. She did only 41 questions and scored 115 in Maths.
confused_parent

Post by confused_parent »

Can anyone help me make sense of this, especially after reading the posts above about the child who scored 0 in English.

We got my sons results today which show a score of 79 for English. I was very shocked by this result as he passed two mock tests and had done really well with me at home.

If the child above scored 0 but ended up with 150 something, how has my son managed to get a score of only 79.

I really don't know what to think about this and am so confused, but as we get results on a Saturday there is no one to talk to about it. Waiting until Monday is going to drive me insane.

The only thing that would make sense is if he wrote about something completely different to what was asked but what he said tallied with other people we spoke to.
anon*

Post by anon* »

Yes, it sounds as if my son wrote about something unrelated in his english also.....he is amazing at english but for some reason only scored 88 (I expected this to be his best score!) the scoring ranges from 70 - 140
70 (for a poor attempt)
100 (average score)
and 140 (top score)
So even if your DS completely messed up, his score for english would still be 70. This is doubled along with the maths, VR is not doubled. All these scores are added together to give the weighted score.
Thank god my DS scored 132 in maths and 122 in VR.....which gave him a pass! So this is proof that even if you flunk one of the tests (an important one that is doubled too!) you can still get a great pass mark.......hope this helps :D
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

confused_parent wrote:Can anyone help me make sense of this, especially after reading the posts above about the child who scored 0 in English.

We got my sons results today which show a score of 79 for English. I was very shocked by this result as he passed two mock tests and had done really well with me at home.

If the child above scored 0 but ended up with 150 something, how has my son managed to get a score of only 79.

I really don't know what to think about this and am so confused, but as we get results on a Saturday there is no one to talk to about it. Waiting until Monday is going to drive me insane.

The only thing that would make sense is if he wrote about something completely different to what was asked but what he said tallied with other people we spoke to.
Read how to calculate the final mark. The English score is doubled in the calculation. Therefore the 79 will become 158.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Hi confused parent - as has been said if your child scored 79 it would be weighted to be 158.

Out of interest what month does his birthday fall in?
How did he do in the other tests score wise?

I read there was an accident, did he do better on the paper before the accident?
confused_parent

Post by confused_parent »

tiredmum wrote:Hi confused parent - as has been said if your child scored 79 it would be weighted to be 158.

Out of interest what month does his birthday fall in?
How did he do in the other tests score wise?

I read there was an accident, did he do better on the paper before the accident?
He is a 1st September baby. Missed the cutoff by less than 2 hours. :roll:

But, he actually started school a few days after his 5th birthday yet my elder son (20th August) started at 4yrs/4months. So not sure how this system works tbh.

He scored what accounts to nothing in English - 79. From what was being said amongst friends he did get the jist of what the question was asking although there was lots of confusion over the format. Unless he really didn't write anything I just don't see how it could have been that low as I know his written English is not bad, it's not his strongest but certainly better than virtually 0 marks.

His maths and VR were both just over 100. In all practice VR papers he had scored 95-98% and all practice maths papers had been 68 - 82%.

I believe English was the first paper so the accident was after that, but possibly could have affected concentration on the maths and VR.