Rainham Mark Grammer School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiredmum

Re: Rainham Mark Grammer School

Post by tiredmum »

ausvic wrote:Rainham Mark also goes on score, like Rochester Grammar it is a Medway 'super selective'.
Applepie dont worry about this as the most "super" they get on the selective bit is about 15 points (in general) higher than the actual pass mark, and i know Rochester may have to up its PAN again soon - so does try and take, even if on appeal, all those that passed the test and want RGS. :)

oh yes i see you have a dd not a ds :lol:
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

[quote="Applepie"] would rather she went to a grammer somewhere than a poor secondary school locally.
quote]

Not really the right reason to choose a school. All of the Medway Grammers are good and get good results. It sounds like you are saying RMGS will do if she can't get into anything else. It is a very good school and well sought after in the local area and I would rather kids go there that want to be there than those that think it will do. It is not an easy school academically to be at even if you are bright
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

ausvic wrote:Not really the right reason to choose a school.
Why do you have to preach to anyone what the right reasons for choosing a school are? It doesnt matter if RMGS is his last choice, if his daughter passes then she has every right to be there despite your preferences of who you think should go to RMGS :roll:
Last edited by sherry_d on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Here Here , sherry :)
Applepie

Post by Applepie »

Thank you for all the replies Rochester Grammer would be my first choice because of distance, the travel web page is very useful for buses and trains I'm sure all the grammers are good in Medway and I just want her to go to a grammer school rather than a secondary modern in Kent as the outcome would be so much better.If she fails in Kent she must go to a secondary modern. She may pass both 11+ and then she can go to Invicta with her sister who is doing great there.(3 A* and 6 A's in GCSE taken a year early) Just worrying about results and listening to my dd feedback about the exam. Do not want to offend anyone. Thanks sherry-d we are going on Saturday to see RGS I teach in Kent so cannot get time off in day. The freedom pass is great for transport. Sitting tight and trying not to worry till Friday. Do they send us an e-mail or do we check on line?
testbuster

Post by testbuster »

RMGS is an excellent school. My DS is in year 7 and so far we have been very impressed by the standard of work expected. It's certainly not a 'will do' backup choice - getting in can be hard. Last year they used the cut-off and although the score was only a few points over the pass mark a lot of children in Rainham did not get in when it was their first choice.

It's a bit of an undiscovered gem. Because it only became a grammar in the 80s it's not got the same reputation as Rochester among some parents and yet it does just as well, sometimes better, on results. As a mixed school it's obviously different from a single sex one but in the 21st century it sets up kids for the modern world.

My ds is very academic and so far is loving it. It's no pushover school and certainly not second best to the other choices. It was our first choice and we worried about whether it was the right school but I needn't have. I'm sure you will be happy if your dd goes there - and some children do travel a great distance to get there.
nigs

Post by nigs »

sherry_d wrote:Ok I get it, my DD did both Medway and Kent too so I think RGS and RMGS will be our choice schools too. I actually quite like RGS so far better than my local ones but I dont think I could justify the journey if she were to get in our local ones. Will see what I make of it when we visit. They have open day next sat but I prefer seeing it on a working day so will attend the open mornings.

This website is also helpful for school bus timetables for Kent and Medway.

http://www.11-19travel.info/

Oh and another bit of good news I noticed the Kent Freedom Pass which cost £50 annually now covers Kent Children attending Medway schools since April 2010.

Just have to sit tightly hoping Friday will bring us some good news. Mine found Medway harder than Kent so I am not holding my breath.
Sherry, can the Kent Freedom Pass be used on trains as well as buses?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I dont think you can use it on the trains. Just buses, most of the main bus operators seem OK but others like Park and Ride in Maidstone dont accept the pass.

The list of operators who accept it is here.

https://shareweb.kent.gov.uk/Documents/ ... rators.pdf
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now