What's a good Score ??? in Medway

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Benoit

Re: What's a good Score ??? in Medway

Post by Benoit »

paulap wrote:Anonymity is not the cause for concern - it's more about sensitivity to other people's feelings.

There are probably parents on this forum who are feeling pretty down at the moment and posting scores just strikes me as unnecessary.
There are 2 sets of feelings here. Those happy and those sad. There should be a mutual understanding and respect for each others situation.
No-one has yet asked those who were successful to stop celebrating. In fact commiserations and congratulations have been exchanged all weekend.
It appears that the proportion of people against the whole thing didn't even have a child take the test this year which is as amazing as it is weird.

A knowledge of scores assists, in my view, in determining whether or not a super selective school is a possibility. Pass or fail there is a lot of deciding to be done and I wish people would stop making the assumption that it is either deliberately rubbing peoples face in it or being insensitive.
Those who were unsuccessful have a voice of their own but, like everyone else with a 10/11 year old, are far too busy planning the future rather than scouring the forum, reading between lines that aren't there so that they can be offended by a different set of circumstances.

The thread originator has clearly titled this thread so I would argue, if scores aren't your thing, steer well clear.
Benoit
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Benoit wrote: A knowledge of scores assists, in my view, in determining whether or not a super selective school is a possibility. Pass or fail there is a lot of deciding to be done and I wish people would stop making the assumption that it is either deliberately rubbing peoples face in it or being insensitive.
I totally agree - on this forum there is often a need to discuss scores if your options are super-selectives. BUT We dont have them in the medway.
Some say RGS is but imo a school that in the last 5 years has taken all those children who have passed (sometimes on appeal) and generally only goes 8 to 15 points above the pass mark is not superselective.

personally i dont have a problem posting scores but have some friends on here who have contributed for many months who havnt managed a pass score and although i certainly would not want to put people off using this site and expressing freedom of speech but would ask that whilst doing so they are mindful of others feelings.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tiredmum - thanks for the explanation of the RGS (whichever school this is :roll: ) intake - reckon one that takes all who pass over recent years is as you imply no more selective than others in the area.

What are their selection criteria ? is it score or distance? Do people apply for far away?

The minutiae of scores tends to become crucial in some of the schools that purely select on score. I hesitate to say super selective as that implies that the intake is better than some of the other GS around the country - I don't think it actually is in the end... just a feature of the local system / population density / other schools available / overall passmark.... stop me before the record gets stuck, it's time to make meringues
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

hermanmunster wrote: What are their selection criteria ? is it score or distance? Do people apply for far away?
Hi herman
RGS does select by score - and last year the cutoff was 13 points higher than the pass mark, 2008 was just 8 points above the passmark, so yes you do need to consider your dd's score here but they have taken all who have passed for quite a few years now - obviously some on appeal - but they hold these very early.

There are a couple of other schools in the medway that select by score - one is never full on allocation and the other usually goes just a few points above the pass mark. So really in the medway the information you need to know is the passmark :wink:

Having browsed many of the forums on here I understand waht a real superselective is and sympathise with those needing such a high score.

The bigest problem in our area has been that last year one of the girls schools FP - cut their PAN by a whole class so was over subscribed by quite a bit - they go on distance and many have been worried they wont get a place. This school used to take all who applied but last year took only up to 4 miles away. A few children from where i lived failed to get a place even on appeal.
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

tiredmum, I agree.

I would not wish to put off anyone from using the site. I have read and read threads on this site for many months now and have found it invaluable. Some things I agreed with and some I didn't but surely that is healthy. I have 3 other children to go through the 11+ ( and a niece!) so I hope, over many years, to give as much as I can too.

I mistakenly thought the 11+ was an exam the school had been working towards for years. I found out the contrary was true in June and have invested time and money to do all I could to ensure my eldest went to a school I felt she 'deserved'. Although new to this, I am very proud of our joint effort as it could so easily have been the other way (her first attempts were around the 30% mark) and I hope to repeat, even if over a longer period, the preparatory process we took.

I guess it is this experience that has made me defensive to previous comments surrounding score curiosity such as 'vulgar and boastfulness' which I felt were unfair and unjust.

Your advice regarding RGS is helpful. Both they and RMGS are likely to again apply their over-subscription criteria of score and although it has only been 8 or 15 points recently, this year could be different taking into account baby booms/over or under performance in a particular gender etc. Nothing is yet certain.

I am excited by the process as I am sure many others are. I truly do not believe this could cause offence. For the unsuccessful, the road hasn't ended, there is an appeal process if suitable and then, like everyone, a major amount of research for the most suitable school.

It is a learning curve for many and one we shouldn't feel afraid of talking about.
Benoit
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Benoit wrote: I mistakenly thought the 11+ was an exam the school had been working towards for years. I found out the contrary was true in June and have invested time and money to do all I could to ensure my eldest went to a school I felt she 'deserved'. Although new to this, I am very proud of our joint effort as it could so easily have been the other way (her first attempts were around the 30% mark) and I hope to repeat, even if over a longer period, the preparatory process we took.

I know its a pain that the school do not take any interest in the 11 plus - if you mention SATS - now thats a different matter!
You are rightfully proud of your dd and all the effort you put in too - i felt the same last year. With 3 children to go through the whole process i expect you will become very knowledgable and others will benefit from that. Enjoy the upcoming opendays :)
paulap

Post by paulap »

Everybody should be proud of their DC and I can see why you want to celebrate.

However, the RGS "intake score" isn't published as yet and saying what your child has achieved won't change the fact that they either meet the score of they don't.

Yes, my children took their 11+ last year but I hope our experiences may help somebody this year. I know from experience how some parents felt last year if their child didn't quite get the required score and hearing "my child got ***" wasn't exactly tactful or helpful for those trying to get their head around what had happened.

Please, please, please feel proud of your DC but have some thought for other parents who weren't quite as fortunate as you.
murf123

Post by murf123 »

Hi all,

It was never my intension to boast or brag and although i didnt put the score in at first i did put it in so if anyone was overly upset i am truely sorry,

As i went to school in Ireland i don't truely understand the process of not only the 11+ but am always asking whats going on in school so i can compare it to ireland and work out in my own mind were my DC level is .

Silly Question but if most Schools in medway don't use the score why bother telling us !!
only if you Question the result or a school needs them if to many apply .....

i have found this forum very helpful and will cont.. to use it in future .

My DS did well and some of his friend did too and some were unlucky so wanted to know how to judge his score wider than his friends.

thank to all who posted replies

murf123
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

murf123 wrote:Hi all,
Silly Question but if most Schools in medway don't use the score why bother telling us !!
only if you Question the result or a school needs them if to many apply .....

murf123
Good question, it could be done the way you suggest - if you apply and dont get in to RGS or RMGS, then you get told your score. I dont think knowing scores is a problem, if handled well - i dont like the playground tittle/tattle that comes from the kids knowing their scores, but i surpose its all part of life. I deliberatly didnt tell either of my dc's their scores to avoid all that "what did you get" - and the parents can be just as bad :) A dc at dd2 primary scorred top marks on all 3 kent papers and the mum was very proud (rightfully so) - the fact that he had been tutored 3 days a week for 2 years wasnt mentioned! But thats another post entirely! (me im probably just jealous - having to DIY - couldnt afford tutor fees with dd2) :lol:
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Murf123 dont worry it was me moaning about scores, it was something that was very fresh and hurting at that moment but you sort of move on from that resentment. It makes quite some interesting reading now when I have sobbered up to see what other children got.
Impossible is Nothing.