Just can't make decision!!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiredmum

Re: Just can't make decision!!!

Post by tiredmum »

lorrainey wrote:. Personally, I would have preferred RGS and dd does like RGS, but dh would have worried about her taking the bus home. So practicality rears its head since FP is nearer. It is a beautiful school but I still think dd would have looked fab and smart in the RGS uniform.
Men! I expect she would have been fine with the bus. Even though for us RGS is considered our nearest girls grammar the bus journey takes about 40 mins, dd leaves home at 7.10, 5 min walk to bus stop. Arrives at school bus stop at 7.55/8am. Then 5 min walk in to school. She arrives home at 4.10pm. She handled this by her self from day one - had never been on a bus before by herself! And yes the uniform looks great on her :lol:
lorrainey

Post by lorrainey »

Men! I expect she would have been fine with the bus. Even though for us RGS is considered our nearest girls grammar the bus journey takes about 40 mins, dd leaves home at 7.10, 5 min walk to bus stop. Arrives at school bus stop at 7.55/8am. Then 5 min walk in to school. She arrives home at 4.10pm. She handled this by her self from day one - had never been on a bus before by herself! And yes the uniform looks great on her :lol:[/quote]

Wow! Your daughter is a brave one - very well done to her!

My dd would have done it too as I would have done a few bus journeys with her beforehand. It would only have taken her 25 mins on the bus from Chatham to RGS, and that's only return as I would have taken her to school in the morning! I keep telling dh it's not too late to change the info on the online form. :lol:
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

lorrainey wrote: I keep telling dh it's not too late to change the info on the online form. :lol:
does dd have a preference? or does she like them both the same? :)
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

rubyhettybetty wrote:People keep telling me too that FP girls are more likely to get into boy trouble and even drugs!!! Is this just tittle tattle??!!!
Have been following this thread this interest. With the greatest respect, I really cannot understand the above comment - are you serious RHB? I do understand that you can get so swallowed up in the process of deciding schools but really people, observing girls hairstyles and making sweeping statements is probably not very objective. All the grammar schools in Medway are extremely good schools and in my humble opinion you cannot be more 'likely to get into boy trouble or drugs' by choosing the wrong one.
rubyhettybetty

Post by rubyhettybetty »

Have been following this thread this interest. With the greatest respect, I really cannot understand the above comment - are you serious RHB? I do understand that you can get so swallowed up in the process of deciding schools but really people, observing girls hairstyles and making sweeping statements is probably not very objective. All the grammar schools in Medway are extremely good schools and in my humble opinion you cannot be more 'likely to get into boy trouble or drugs' by choosing the wrong one.[/quote]

It wasn't a sweeping statement, I have actually been 'warned off' FP by several people whose girls have recently left there and from other people with late teens who have said that too me about boys :(
And yes- the girls at CGSG that we bumped into during lesson changeover *were* basically quite loud and scruffy, whereas I can't see that would be the case at RGS. The truth of the matter is that I'm so obsessed bu the whole thing that I can't see the wood for the trees and I am over analysing every minute detail!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

medwaymum wrote:Have been following this thread this interest. With the greatest respect, I really cannot understand the above comment - are you serious RHB? I do understand that you can get so swallowed up in the process of deciding schools but really people, observing girls hairstyles and making sweeping statements is probably not very objective. All the grammar schools in Medway are extremely good schools and in my humble opinion you cannot be more 'likely to get into boy trouble or drugs' by choosing the wrong one.
rubyhettybetty wrote:It wasn't a sweeping statement, I have actually been 'warned off' FP by several people whose girls have recently left there and from other people with late teens who have said that too me about boys :(
And yes- the girls at CGSG that we bumped into during lesson changeover *were* basically quite loud and scruffy, whereas I can't see that would be the case at RGS. The truth of the matter is that I'm so obsessed bu the whole thing that I can't see the wood for the trees and I am over analysing every minute detail!

RHB - I totally sympathise with the whole 'can't see the wood for the trees' thing - I've been in your position twice now. However I do stand by my point that it is incorrect to state that certain schools will influence your children into boys and/or drugs. We are all too aware (unfortunately :( ) the problems with teens, and I strongly believe that there are teens all over Medway, in grammars and otherwise, that have these certain problems. I'm sure that you could go to the top 10 ranking schools in the UK and find these problems too. I know plenty of girls who have gone through RGS and FP who are lovely girls, with none of these issues. My advice would be not to start worrying about this gossip mongering and concentrate on which school suits your child best - after all, you have a lovely choice to make, three fantastic schools.

I do wish you luck. Please do not think I am ranting, just feel it is unfair to judge schools on this type of heresay and common problems which affect all schools.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

medwaymum wrote: My advice would be not to start worrying about this gossip mongering and concentrate on which school suits your child best - after all, you have a lovely choice to make, three fantastic schools.
Yes exactly - i know you said your dd didnt have a preferance but you know her well so pick the one that suits her and with the excellent oppertunities all can offer i am sure she will excel - cant promice she wont have a boy friend before the age of 18 though :lol: but with good support at home i am sure she will be more than fine :)
jdwarwick

Post by jdwarwick »

Hello medwaymum and tiredmum how lovely to see you both again :D

Stories and rumours are all part of how we make/made our decision, but at the end of the day it's your decision, not a friend's or an acquaintance's. I heard all of this stuff and then I had one really good piece of advice, go watch the kids going into school at the start of the day. I did it for all we were interested in and I saw things at all 3 girls' grammars I wasn't happy with, smoking on the way to CGSG, putting on make up and shouting loudly on the way to FP and major snogging outside RGS as they said farewell to the boys of SJW and a couple running into the road! However, the majority of all the children going to the school looked smart, were smiling and were everything I would hope a young person would be going to their school.

As medwaymum has said, all the grammar schools in Medway are great, and many of the high schools and we are very lucky to be in such good area for schools.
Good luck with your choice!
lorrainey

Post by lorrainey »

tiredmum wrote:
lorrainey wrote: I keep telling dh it's not too late to change the info on the online form. :lol:

She actually wanted to go to RGS after their open day in July, reserved judgment at FP, then she wanted CG. Then after our daytime visit, preferred RGS again. :lol:

She likes RGS for the music, choir, display boards, good academic scores. She likes FP only because one of her best friends is going there. She would still have chosen RGS if dh did not make her feel guilty saying that he would worry about her non-stop, coming home on the bus! In the end, she left it to us both to decide as it was doing her head in!

I wasn't impressed with the uniform at FP. I noticed a few girls who had their skirts too high and blouse unbuttoned too low, even though it was an open evening! And one of the girls said that no one really cared about implementing the uniform rules except the head, and no one liked her anyway!!!

Wish I could change the online form. :lol: At least, I know her best friend there is a sensible one. Hopefully, her best friend gets in as she lives farther away.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

lorrainey wrote:
tiredmum wrote:

She actually wanted to go to RGS after their open day in July, reserved judgment at FP, then she wanted CG. Then after our daytime visit, preferred RGS again. :lol:

She likes RGS for the music, choir, display boards, good academic scores. She likes FP only because one of her best friends is going there. She would still have chosen RGS if dh did not make her feel guilty saying that he would worry about her non-stop, coming home on the bus! In the end, she left it to us both to decide as it was doing her head in!

I wasn't impressed with the uniform at FP. I noticed a few girls who had their skirts too high and blouse unbuttoned too low, even though it was an open evening! And one of the girls said that no one really cared about implementing the uniform rules except the head, and no one liked her anyway!!!

Wish I could change the online form. :lol: At least, I know her best friend there is a sensible one. Hopefully, her best friend gets in as she lives farther away.
It's a big decision. I would be tempted to go with gut feeling. Even if the travel might be a bit daunting for a Yr 7, don't forget for most of her years at school she will be close to being an adult.